Why can't I get WPA to work with linkysy router and linksys/WinXP cleint?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Colin, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    The connection works without encryption. Once WPA-PSK is turn on the client and
    the router connect, exchange data(seems to be attempting to authenticate) and
    then fails.

    It seems to be the 802.1x part I haven't setup correctly. What is the process
    for WPA? Has my approach must be too simplistic(see below) and I missed a step.

    1) Linksys Router befw11s4 v4 upgrade to the latest firmware (152.02), WPA-PSK
    enable, TKIP enabled, shared key type in, 3600 for group key renewal.
    2) Winxp upgrade for WPA supplicant. WPA_PSK selected from wireless network
    properties. Same shared-key typed in to wireless network properties.
    3) Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 (driver 4.10.0.430), besides upgraded the driver, made no
    settings changes.

    Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

    Colin

    Colin, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Colin

    Guest Guest

    what about the client?
    is it 802.11a/b/g?
    is the linksys router? It probably is

    Are there any known incompatabilities with the router and the w/nic? Maybe
    try and look for that at the linksys webpage?
    can either switch between a/b mode manually and have not been set the same?

    Cheers

    Guest, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Yep 802.11b
    I've looked there (even ran "netcheck" under WEP with no errors which is expect
    if you can connect) and goole/MS etc - all the indications are that this is easy
    - password on the router and passwor don the client - but its not working. I've
    reverted to WEP.
    No, its b always

    I think this has something to do with the 802.1x certifcate business but can't
    figure that out yet.
    Thanks for the interest
    Colin

    Colin, Jun 16, 2005