    on the computer and reboot. I would appreciate any advice anyone
    might have on this issue.

    3.0GHz, 512MB DDR RAM, 80GB HDD, Windows XP Pro

    Mary, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Mary

    trout Guest

    I assume you're not doing an insane number of things at once; and
    you've been adequately patient in allowing the applications time to sort
    themselves out....
    Hopefully, someone will be able to give you some insight into what
    may be causing the problem. All I can suggest is possible treatment of
    the symptoms- you can try one of the many free process viewer/killers
    available.
    One that has worked well for me is Taskill. Simple, easy to use, and
    quite effective, in my experience. You can find it on this page:
    http://freezip.cjb.net/freeware/

    trout, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Mary

    °Mike° Guest

    Start here:

    Next, scan your system for viruses with at least
    two online scanners:

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    ================

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    have the latest version of removal tools:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/en/index.html
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    http://www.lavasoft.de/
    Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    http://www.lavasoft.de/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
    http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
    Now maintained by InterMute

    And, of course, take trout's advice about not having an
    insane number of tasks running at one time.

    °Mike°, Oct 25, 2004