    Thanks for everybody who has answered my other threads, I've learned a lot.
    Here is another question: Why is it that on most dSLR the viewfinder
    does not show 100% of the actual shot ?

    x, Oct 12, 2006

  2. x

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Because they like to play with the minds of newbie's. "I could have sworn I
    had his ears in the picture. Honest!"

    Hebee Jeebes, Oct 12, 2006

  3. x

    frederick Guest

    There is an assumption that pros will get the ears in (even though they
    make the same mistakes) so pro cameras typically do have 100%
    viewfinders rather than 95%.

    frederick, Oct 12, 2006
  4. x

    cjcampbell Guest

    Space, weight, desired degree of magnification in the viewfinder. The
    assumption is that you are going to crop a little off the shot anyway.
    Most photo prints do not match the aspect ratio of the picture. So if
    you are going to print, say, 4x6 you are going to lose the edges.

    cjcampbell, Oct 12, 2006
  5. Cost. It takes time, and therefore money, to get a 100% view aligned
    accurately with the sensor - film or digital. In addition the prism has to
    be larger, and heavier etc. And, for many years there's been the argument
    that slide frames are slightly smaller than the nominal full frame of
    36x24mm.
    Since the recent demise of film, I've been able to afford the purchase of
    two Nikon F3s which I believe have 100% finders - and offer a relatively low
    cost way to decide whether 100% is that important in your type of
    photography.

    Malcolm Stewart, Oct 12, 2006
  6. x

    Stu Guest

    I know. I have to agree.

    It is crazy that they aren't 100% IMO. Especially on something like a 5D.

    Stu, Oct 12, 2006
  7. Manufacturing costs. The big issue is alignment ... to show 100%, the
    alignment has to be close to dead on.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 12, 2006
  8. x

    Mark² Guest

    That is definitely an annoyance...not just on the 5D, but on any body that
    isn't truly 100%--which is nearly all DSLRs. An example recently was a
    shot I took where I carefully made sure that a concrete curb was out of the
    lower portion of the frame...only to discover that the edge protruded into
    the actual image--even though it wasn't visible in the viewfinder. I frame
    very carefully when I shoot certain subjects and don't like finding surprise
    opbjects at the edges of the frame. This meant cropping, which to me is a
    waste of resolution. Yes, I should have caught it on the LCD, but I'm not a
    chimper and tend to only glance at an occasional histogram.

    Mark², Oct 13, 2006
  9. x

    x Guest

    Yep... from the postings here, sounds like it's a left over from film days,
    and I agree with your comment on lost of resolution.

    x, Oct 15, 2006