    In other words... Slow down, and try to identify what the other person is
    trying to convey, rather than simply asigning your own meaning to his words.
    :)

    Mark M, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Alfred Molon

    Skip M Guest

    He's just being intentionally obtuse. But that's ok, since he killfiled me
    for topposting, a result of my using OE, and not having the "courtesy" to
    reformat my replies to the bottom, or the middle, of the post, which is a
    style he seems addicted to.

    Skip M, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Hmm. Does OE really make it that hard to move to the middle of the file and
    type? I don't find it so<g>.

    I personally wish that you'd do that: you usually have sensible things to
    say, but figuring out what you are responding to is often problematic and
    always irritating.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Alfred Molon

    Skip M Guest

    Well, it is for me. I'd rather see the reply on top than scroll down the
    entire exchange to see a two line (or two word) reply.
    Anyway, if bottom posting is the usenet norm, why in the heck does the
    single largest reader insist on top posting? I don't even have a setting in
    options to change it like I did in Netscape. Sigh, I miss Netscape, but my
    office computer guy insists on us using OE, and since this computer, while
    at home, is used largely for that purpose, I'm stuck with it. And I'm not
    computer literate enough to deal with the other newsreaders, I just want to
    open up the page and write. Why can't computers be like refrigerators? You
    open the door, get what you want, close the door and walk away. The 'fridge
    just keeps doing what it's supposed to.
    Plus I have John Navas complaining that I changed from top posting to bottom
    posting in the same thread. Even when I try to comply, I get grief. So,
    I'll just keep doing it the way that is easiest for me.
    Sorry.

    Skip M, Apr 20, 2004
  5. What is? Easier? Harder? I don't know what you're talking about<g>.

    It's really easy to kill irrelevent text: hold down Shift, tap down arrow,
    hit delete. It's gone.

    Hit Enter twice at the end of the text you respond to and start typing. What
    could be easier???

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Alfred Molon

    Mark M Guest

    Or...
    With a mouse...
    Simply drag-select all the lower text you aren't responding directly
    to...hit enter...and start typing.

    I still read you, Skip, but it is sometimes a pain to figure out who/what is
    being addressed.
    This becomes especially true with responses that appear farther down due to
    multiple reponses to the same particular post within a thread.

    Mark M, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Alfred Molon

    Andrew Guest

    Who are you talking about?

    Andrew, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Alfred Molon

    MarkH Guest

    [dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote in
    Are you saying that you cannot use a 10 year old EF lens on a new Canon D-
    SLR?

    My understanding is that all new Canon bodies will take all new and old
    Canon lenses as long as they are EF mount.

    You seem to be deliberately misunderstanding what others are saying. Since
    the EF mount has been around for a while now it is obviously possible for
    older EF mount lenses to exist.

    Just because you have decided to define older as F mount and newer as EF
    mount, it doesn’t mean that no one is allowed to call a several year old EF
    mount lens ‘older’. Does it really help discussions to make up your own
    narrow definition of a common word like ‘older’ then claim that anyone who
    uses the more normal general definition of that word is wrong?

    MarkH, Apr 20, 2004
  9. No. because the EF lens is the current series. What you can't use is your
    old Canon lenses.
    No. Your understanding is that Canon bodies can take all new series lenses
    (ie EF lenses). Canon bodies cannot take any of Canon's old lenses - unlike
    Nikon which ensured backwards compatibility. But Canon DSLRs can only take
    new Canon lenses.
    You seem deliberately to be twisting very simple facts. Old Canon lenses
    cannot be used on their DSLRs. Unlike old Nikon lenses on their DSLRs.
    Quite simple.

    Simon Gardner, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Nikon says their DSLRs will take "most recent" Nikon mount lenses.
    But as long as Sigma is sorting out both Canon and Nikons considerable
    lens mount problems, and providing much better build quality and
    value, who cares?

    George Preddy, Apr 20, 2004
  11. Alfred Molon

    MarkH Guest

    [dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote in
    You are a complete fool, I believe you are sitting there with you fingers
    in your ears going na-na-na-na... unwilling to hear what others are saying.

    Clearly within the current EF mount lenses there are newer and older
    lenses, F mount lenses are even older.
    Completely false. Canon D-SLRs can take some older lenses, but it depends
    how old, basically the lenses have to be EF Mount. Much older lenses like
    the F mount lenses are not compatible.
    Old Canon lenses CAN be used, depending on how old! If they are over 10
    years old and F Mount then no, they can’t be used. If you are talking
    about 5 years old and EF Mount lenses then they definitely CAN be used. It
    IS quite simple: Older lenses may or may not work depending on how old - EF
    Mount lenses will work, F Mount wont.

    It seems that when someone asks if they can use the lenses from their older
    Canon SLR with a new D-SLR you would say: "No". I would say: "How old are
    your lenses, do you know if they are F Mount or EF Mount?". My answer is
    helpful, your answer may be completely wrong.

    MarkH, Apr 20, 2004
  12. And it is not even my own langauge ;)
    Thx - I started to get worried. It is the second time in
    a short while that I am in the same kind of discussion - someone
    that insists that I don't really mean what I intended to say,
    but how they interpret it - no matter how much I try to
    tell what I really meant. Rather frustrating :)

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Apr 20, 2004
  13. Alfred Molon

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    Bogus strawman argument. Both methods of posting are illogical. It's
    not a "one or the other" thing. Quoting the entire post including the
    sig, and then replying at the bottom, is only a tiny bit more logical
    than doing the same at the top. The logical way to reply is after what
    you're replying to (what a concept!), but to trim away irrelevant
    material.

    By the way, I see 10 times as many posts that quote the entire previous
    in its entirety with top-posting than with bottom-posting.
    Because microsoft wants to get their hands into everything, including
    things they know nothing about, like usenet. The team that wrote OE
    probably never even heard of usenet before they were assigned to the
    project.

    JPS, Apr 20, 2004
  14. Correct. There are other examples, e.g. why do OE insist on
    using proportional fonts for the text as default? The usenet
    and mail "standard" is non proportional font, so you can make
    tables and ascii graphics. Since long forgotten skills :)

    / \
    | o o | ____
    C L D | O^| Klick
    | \_/ | ------
    \ /

    Roland Karlsson, Apr 21, 2004
  15. It isn't, and it doesn't. Intermixed posting is the common sense norm, and
    OE sets you up to do that easily. (Top posting is the norm in some
    businesses, where they like to keep the complete history of the
    conversation. Yuck.)
    They made the rash assumption that their customer base was human, not geek.
    Using fixed-width is easy, but bletcherous in that to do that, you tell it
    that a fixed width font is proportional.

    The main lack in OE that other mail programs provide is intelligent
    reformatting of quoted text. That would be nice.
    I guess people's language skills are improving. (That cheap shot was not
    intended to relfect on your language skills, with which I have no
    complaints.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 21, 2004
  16. Alfred Molon

    Skip M Guest

    I really worded that last comment badly. It was more rhetorical than
    anything, I've learned over the few years I've been on the 'net that MSoft
    does whatever it well pleases, and convention, or convenience or ethics, be
    damned!

    Skip M, Apr 21, 2004
  17. Alfred Molon

    Skip M Guest

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Apr 21, 2004
  18. []
    It's your choice which font you use in OE.
    I find the proportional fonts easier to read, so I use them.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 21, 2004
  19. Alfred Molon

    JPS Guest

    In message <K9rhc.69$>,
    Don't expect to be able to read any charts, or create them.

    Do expect mangled lines when other people read your posts.

    Usenet is not a paragraph medium.

    JPS, Apr 21, 2004
  20. Nonsense. I still do it frequently. z .
    There are loads of occasions when it's |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'

    Simon Gardner, Apr 21, 2004