    print range, but most of the comments left there weren't very
    encouraging. Anyone know of any REASONABLY priced places for
    5x7s . . . or should I just stick with the 35mm?

    anon a mouse, Mar 14, 2010

  2. anon a mouse

    Mort Guest

    Buy a printer, and print your own.

    Mort, Mar 14, 2010

  3. anon a mouse

    snapper Guest

    Why bother printing them? You can view digital photos on most TV sets these days. Or you
    can buy a 7" portable picture viewer very cheaply.

    snapper, Mar 14, 2010
  4. anon a mouse

    tony cooper Guest

    Costco charges $5.19 for a developing a 24 exposure roll of film and
    printing 24 5 x 7s. (The same for 4 x 6s is $3.99)

    Prints from digital images at Costco are 39 cents each. Twenty-four 5
    x 7s are $9.36. Available on lustre or gloss. You can submit your
    own color profile on-line.

    tony cooper, Mar 14, 2010
  5. anon a mouse

    Martin Brown Guest

    Because they are ripping you off. UK photo dealers charge at most the
    equivalent of ten cents extra for 5x7 and some offer same price deals
    periodically so if you are not in a hurry. Or batch them up to lots of
    50 to get the best price break it isn't a problem. BTW 24 could be a
    really dumb number of prints to order if the next price break is 25x

    http://photo.jessops.com/photo-printing.html

    And Fuji crystal archive paper gives a much better finished print than
    even the best inkjet can manage.
    Not cost effective unless you use cheapo secondary market inks and cheap
    paper and then the quality and longevity suffer. Even with official
    Canon inks and paper stuff printed on my i9000 starts to fade badly
    after 5 years in moderate light. And after two years in direct sunlight.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Mar 14, 2010
  6. anon a mouse

    Chris H Guest

    Actually it IS cost effective if you buy a decent printer with a
    fotospeed, permajet or similar high capacity ink flow system. Note this
    is not the cheapo 3rd party ink but Ink for pro photographers. Buy the
    good quality paper in blocks of 200 and colour calibrate the system

    Not a cheap outlay.

    However I print from A3+ down to 6*4 so my only outlay for 5*7 was for a
    block of good quality paper (a block of 200 is good value)

    However not everyone wants to spend the better part of 1000USD on
    setting up a printer. Even if they do spend 2-10K on cameras and lenses.

    Chris H, Mar 14, 2010
  7. They're 'spensive 'cuz most people get 4x6 prints, and that is what
    the printing gear is set up for... (6" paper rolls). BTW, if anyone has
    access to a Ritz printing place, I have about 150 coupons for 6x8
    prints I would sell at a reasonable price...;-)
    --DR

    David Ruether, Mar 14, 2010
  8. anon a mouse

    ransley Guest

    For me to get a photo the way I want it, I have to edit and print it.
    Printers are cheap, the ink is not but you get alot of satisfaction
    knowing you did it and the photo shop probably would not do as good.

    ransley, Mar 14, 2010
  9. anon a mouse

    BF Guest

    and printed? Also, figure into this the cost of film for the pictures
    which is better than any after market ink.
    and I have total control of the results. I will put my prints up against
    any lab.
    work turn out the way I want it to so time is not an issue.

    BF, Mar 14, 2010
  10. anon a mouse

    Peter Guest

    Try Costco.

    Peter, Mar 14, 2010
  11. anon a mouse

    Martin Brown Guest

    My main concern with doing that would be that I don't necessarily use
    the A3 printer for a couple of weeks and then hammer it. I know that the
    Canon cartridges will behave OK. I don't know how well these 3rd party
    and frankly slightly Heath Robinson bulk ink systems would behave.

    I'd be interested to know how well a print using your system lasts
    without obvious fading on a S facing windowsill (half the print covered
    up).
    My main worry would be that it might become less reliable for
    intermittent heavy use with all those tubes and bottles floating around.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Mar 15, 2010
  12. anon a mouse

    Chris H Guest

    They behave very well. At least the PermaJet one I have does. You clamp
    the feed lines if you leave it for more than a few days.

    These systems are aimed at pro photographers and are not the same as
    those systems purely aimed at doing things as cheap as possible. Ask
    around there are a lot of people using them.

    Permajet don't do Canon but Fotospeed do.
    As well if not better than the OEM inks. Obviously the paper also has an
    effect. These are not the same as the cheap inks you see advertises at
    refill places etc. In my case they are pigment inks.
    Apparently not according to the people I have spoken to and my profile
    is intermittent heavy use. So the Permajet system is good for me but
    they don't do Canon, just Epson. Try Fotospeed.

    Chris H, Mar 15, 2010
  13. anon a mouse

    Bruce Guest

    There is nothing "Heath Robinson" about them at all*. They are well
    engineered, at least the ones available for Epson printers are.

    Regarding your concern about leaving the printer for a couple of weeks
    between uses, you should be just as concerned about doing that with
    ink cartridges. I run a test print two or three times a week if I am
    otherwise not using my printers. This seems to do the trick and it
    doesn't cost a lot of money.

    *For those who don't understand the reference to W. Heath Robinson:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson
    http://www.chrisbeetles.com/gallery/artist.php?art=2709
    http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/exhibitions/heathrobinson/

    Bruce, Mar 15, 2010
  14. anon a mouse

    Chris H Guest

    I know what he means as they are "bolt on" and have wires going in
    through the lid etc. Butr as you say they PermaJet and Fotospeed ones
    are well engineered. I can't speak for some of the really cheap ones
    that are for people looking for "cheap" as opposed to a less expensive
    high quality solution for volume.
    I agree. The problem is at the heads. Not the ink supply system, though
    the PermaJet system does have clamps on the feed lines to stop the ink
    draining in either direction.

    I also run one a week. Just a sheet with some multi colour text on.
    When I come to do "proper" prints I do a head check and away I go....

    Chris H, Mar 15, 2010
  15. Ah! A Brit Rube Goldberg....... or, more properly, Rube Goldberg was a
    Yankee Heath Robinson.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    In additon to it's, we can have hi's, her's and their's!!!

    Help stamp out repetition, gratuitou's apostrophe's, and NEEDLESS',
    redundant, and WHOLLY UNNECESSARY CAPITALIZATION, **AND**superflous
    *EMPHASIS*. And tautological statements which waste space and can be
    repetitive or even wordy in and of themselves', thus taking more time to
    read, or even think about; it's tedious and enervating.

    These are *THE* internet *SCOURGES'*, along with exclamation points!!!

    John McWilliams, Mar 15, 2010