    Linux distro and Gimp version is being used.

    And for these Linux users how do you manage not being able to use your
    Canon, Nikon or other software provided by the camera mfg?

    measekite, Dec 27, 2008

  2. measekite

    ray Guest

    I have GIMP 2.4.6 installed on my desktop Ubuntu 7.10 desktop, but in all
    honesty, I don't use it very much any more. I mostly use ufraw to do what
    processing I need on the raw files from my Kodak P850. We've been using
    Linux exclusively for several years and have no need of the
    manufacturer's software. You simply mount the camera or card reader,
    transfer the data and do your thing.

    ray, Dec 27, 2008

  3. measekite

    Ofnuts Guest

    I use Gimp on Windows(*). And so far I have had very little use for the
    software which came with my various cameras.

    (*) My usual computer runs Windows for reasons totally unrelated to
    photography.

    Ofnuts, Dec 27, 2008
  4. measekite

    tony cooper Guest

    I'm an WindowsXP and Adobe user; Elements 5.0 for photographs that
    don't require more than simple cropping and maybe a touch of the
    healing brush, and Photoshop 7.0 for photographs that need more
    complex adjustments.

    I have never found software provided by the camera manufacturer to be
    of any use at all.

    tony cooper, Dec 27, 2008
  5. measekite

    tony cooper Guest

    "Comfort zone" is more important than it is given credit. I started
    with Photoshop and Elements in early versions, and find the interface
    to be very simple to work with. There are other programs that
    probably offer features that I'd like, but it's always easier for me
    to figure out how to do something in an Adobe product rather than
    learning some new program.

    Somewhere, someone mentioned some program where the Channel Mixing
    automatically balanced (Photoshop's does not). I think I'd like that,
    but not enough to bother with a whole new program.

    tony cooper, Dec 27, 2008
  6. I tried GIMP and could not stand the interface. Paint Shop Pro 10 does
    almost everything I need, and I also use PIE for basic sorting, and
    Autopano Pro for automated panorama generation. None of these programs
    runs natively on Linux. I do have a UNIX system here, but it's FreeBSD,
    and not Linux. I don't think I have ever used the camera-maker's
    software.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 28, 2008
  7. I'm using Gimp on Linux for all my photo retouching.
    Kubuntu 8.10
    Gimp 2.4.5

    I'm working exclusively on linux at home. For test purposes I've
    installed the canon DPP. It runs quite well with wine here. I still have
    to try a bit more with raw (I have my new camera since 13.12.2008), so
    my desicion about ufraw or dpp is not done, but at least i have the
    choice :)

    kruemi

    Marco Tedaldi, Dec 28, 2008
  8. measekite

    ray Guest

    For very simple panoramas you might try the pandora plug-in for GIMP, if
    you haven't already. It is limited, but extremely simple and seems to
    produce decent results very quickly.

    ray, Dec 28, 2008
  9. measekite

    D.Mac Guest

    Many people extole the virtues of Gimp... Or Photo Paint or few other image
    processing apps... Until one day they experience a Pro's computer set up for
    Photoshop.

    Likewise plenty of people rave about Linux until they get to use a quad core
    Windows machine with a really fast graphics card and discover their linux
    gear is antique when it comes to handling graphics.

    The same could be said for PC users who experience the raw processing power
    of Photoshop on a MAC. Those who rave about how good their P&S camera is,
    probably have never and will never experience a 3D or 1D.

    What I'm trying to to say is that we all tend to warm to the familiar. Once,
    I was ultra faithful to Corel Photo Paint. Then a friend lent me his PC with
    Photoshop and I've been a PS kinda guy ever since. One day I went to work
    for an agency running Mac's exclusively and now I use a Mac for all my
    graphic work but I still use a PC for daily office stuff.

    Each application of worth (and Gimp has worth) has it's own sweet spot.
    Every OS has an area of operation where it is better than the rest and each
    platform has it's own sweet spot too. Why can we not recognize this and
    discuss the merits of the subject instead of getting into a pissing
    competition about which is best?

    D.Mac, Dec 28, 2008
  10. measekite

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Oh dear, I hope he doesn't come across someone with a Rolls or Bentley,
    that old clunker he drives will never feel the same.
    When people extol the virtues of full PS over everything else they
    should bear in mind the very considerable difference in cost between
    that and PSP or PS Elements.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 29, 2008
  11. measekite

    ray Guest

    1) - I'm not a pro.
    2) - adobe does not sell a Linux version. When they offer one, I'll be
    happy to check it out.
    I have found that on the same or very similar equipment, Linux runs
    circles around MS. It is certainly much more secure and more stable. I
    find that I can handle all the graphics I have a desire to handle. I'm
    not into making full frame movies or anything of that sort.
    adobe does not offer photoshop for Linux, again, when they do, I'll be
    happy to check it out.
    But you were just raving about the superiority of MS for handling
    graphics chores - I detect a little inconsistency.
    I don't recall starting a 'pissing competition' - I merely indicated I
    used GIMP and Linux. The namecalling and pissing started with your post!

    ray, Dec 29, 2008
  12. measekite

    ray Guest

    Merely replying to the previous imbecile. And now I have to reply to
    another one!

    ray, Dec 29, 2008
  13. measekite

    ray Guest

    Nothing wrong at all - I keep them in good running order.
    I see. So it is perfectly fine for d.mac to slam Linux (as well as
    yourself) and tell us how great mac and ms are, but totally out of line
    for me to take the opposite view.

    I believe that is called a 'double standard' - you've showed us yours.

    ray, Dec 29, 2008
  14. measekite

    ray Guest

    Your insinuations regarding "proper running order" certainly seem in that
    vein to me.
    Certainly you are, that's why you chastised me, but not dmac.

    But that's fine, I have you pegged now.

    ray, Dec 30, 2008
  15. measekite

    ray Guest

    Well, you're wrong. By all the recent benchmarks. Linux runs quite well
    on hardware that will not even support vista and in some cases xp. Since
    I've been a computer professional for over 30 years, I know something
    about keeping my hardware up to snuff.

    Yes, as a matter of fact, I am.

    ray, Dec 30, 2008