    Any current users of this program care to offer their views on the
    pro's and con's of this product.

    Many thanks.

    MJG, Aug 7, 2005

  2. 0) It's not quite PS, but it's got great capabilities

    1) Since ver. 2 it is much improved especially under MicroSoft Win XP.

    2) Get ready to work out that right-click mouse button finger.

    3) I actually kinda like its perspective correction routines. In fact
    that's my main use for it right now. (right-click -> tools -> transform
    tools -> perspective)

    4) Soooo many li'l windows.

    5) Since it is Free software, you are anti-American for using it.

    6) Enjoy!

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Aug 7, 2005

  3. comp.graphics.apps.gimp

    See also the set at:

    gmane.comp.video.gimp...

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 7, 2005
  4. MJG

    Alan Meyer Guest

    I'm using version 2.2.8 under Windows.

    Pros:
    ----

    1. Very, very powerful software. It has serious photo editing
    capability. I've used some of the cheap programs before like
    Roxio PhotoSuite, but it had been severely dumbed down to cater
    to the least sophisticated users. The GIMP on the other hand
    is the real deal when it comes to photo editing.

    2. Very reliable. I never had a crash.

    3. Highly configurable. I haven't done much with this, but
    you can make many personal decisions about how the program
    works.

    4. Free - free to buy, free to upgrade, free documentation,
    free help available in the newsgroup and mailing lists. You
    can install it free on as many computers as you like without
    violating any license agreement or paying any fees.

    5. No hidden agendas. The GIMP will not try to use the Internet,
    will not spy on you, will not hide your photos in some hidden
    folder, will not show you ads, will not send you email asking
    you to upgrade or buy something else, will not ask you to
    register, and will not require you to use Internet Explorer.
    It doesn't try to organize your photos for you, or get you to
    print them somewhere. It's a program that does exactly what
    it says it does, no more and no less.

    6. No silliness. The GIMP won't talk down to you or force you
    to go through layers of menus to do things that you could do
    much faster once you're willing to learn the shortcuts.

    Cons:
    ----

    1. I'm told it's not as powerful as Photoshop. However I suspect
    that only professional editors and publishers will find things
    in PS that they need that are not in the GIMP.

    2. Third party documentation is less available than PS. Any good
    computer book store will have a dozen or more PS books, and probably
    one or two on PaintShop Pro. but no GIMP books or just one old
    one (that you can also download free!)

    3. It's harder for a casual user to use than the consumer oriented
    programs. There are many more options, widgets and controls and
    no good way to master them without much experimenting. So if all
    you want to do is crop, enhance colors with one button, and
    remove red-eye, and you don't like learning about software, a cheap
    program like PhotoSuite will be significantly easier to use.

    4. Some people have had trouble installing it under Windows. I
    had a problem getting context help to work and a problem with fonts.
    I found the answers on one of the mailing lists, but you have to
    be prepared to learn something and figure things out if anything
    goes wrong. Most people seem to install without problems though.

    5. Limited printing support. I edit my photos in the GIMP. When
    I want them printed I either print them from another program
    (Irfanview), or take them to a commercial printer.

    Conclusions
    -----------

    For the user who doesn't want to do serious editing, likes taking
    pictures but doesn't like computers, but needs basic capabilities,
    the GIMP is not the best choice.

    For the graphics professional who produces images for publication
    and who exchanges files with other professionals, the GIMP is not
    the best choice.

    For people between those extremes, including myself, the GIMP can
    be an excellent choice.

    There isn't anything I want that isn't in the GIMP. It turned out
    that the one thing I needed that wasn't in it was avaialble as a
    separate plugin that I put in my plugins directory and it just
    worked. The plugin too was free.

    I'm sure I'd also be happy with Photoshop or PaintShop Pro. But
    why pay $600 or $100 when I can get what I need free, and upgrade
    free?

    I've tossed my other photo editors and now just use the GIMP.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Aug 7, 2005
  5. Does new gimp have 16-bit file support yet? I have used older gimp
    on unix machines. Also, does it have feathered selections?
    I would like to be able to do all work in 16-bit, including
    on feathered selections. I'm also looking for sharpening filters
    beyond unsharp mask, which do not actually sharpen, like
    Richardson-Lucy image rerstoration (including entering
    you own oint spread functions).

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Aug 7, 2005
  6. MJG

    oink Guest

    Does Gimp handle RAW files?
    Don

    oink, Aug 7, 2005
  7. MJG

    MJG Guest

    Cheers Alan that's a helpful summation.

    I'm in the early days of usage (ie 2 hours!!) but it seems a very
    capable package.........

    Many thanks

    MJG, Aug 7, 2005
  8. MJG

    Proteus Guest

    I have been using the GIMP for a couple of years and it does all I need to
    do. I have no doubts that Adobe Photoshop has more powerful features, but
    those features are beyond my needs, and the price of GIMP (free) is right
    (I even donated $10 to GIMP from my appreciation of what it does).

    Proteus, Aug 7, 2005
  9. MJG

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    You need a plugin, probably something based on DCRAW. I use UFRaw:

    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

    Joe Makowiec, Aug 7, 2005
  10. MJG

    Stacey Guest

    Main con IMHO is it has ZERO color management capabilities.

    The main pro is it's free.

    Stacey, Aug 7, 2005
  11. MJG

    Stacey Guest

    There is a plug-in for RAW files based on DCRAW called ufraw.

    Stacey, Aug 7, 2005
  12. MJG

    Proteus Guest

    A bit skewed off the main topic, but for those interested here are other
    free open source image editing/etc software applications like GIMP; many
    available for MS-Windows platform, many for Linux/Unix:
    http://freshmeat.net/browse/106/

    Proteus, Aug 7, 2005
  13. MJG

    frederick Guest

    I was using DCRaw/UFRaw.
    I have abandoned it for the time being as I was experiencing problems
    with the way it was demosaicing fine detail on D70 raw files, resulting
    in visible coloured artifacts.

    frederick, Aug 7, 2005
  14. MJG

    Alan Meyer Guest

    My understanding is that the GIMP still only supports 8 bit color.

    There is a 32 bit per channel fork of GIMP called Cinepaint. I
    haven't tried it as I have no need of more than 8 bits. See:
    http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/ for info.

    I don't know if the primary GIMP maintainers have any plans
    for increasing color depth in the GIMP.

    As for sharpening, there is the Unsharp mask and also a
    "Sharpen" filter. But you'll need to ask someone more
    knowledgeable than I am about what algorithm it uses. The
    help screen for it only says that it "accentuates edges".

    The "comp.graphics.apps.gimp" newsgroup has some more
    sophisticated users who can probably answer your questions.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Aug 7, 2005
  15. MJG

    frederick Guest

    No - no 16 bit support yet ("it's coming" - but when?)
    Yes - it does have feathered selections by pixel count - shrink and
    grow, create border from selection, and various other selection scripts
    including "distress".
    Not intuitive is to use ctrl, shift, and alt keys, to subtract from, add
    to, and move selection area (ie not move floating layer).
    You would have to search the plug-in registry to see what sharpening
    algorithms are available.

    frederick, Aug 7, 2005
  16. MJG

    Proteus Guest

    Proteus, Aug 7, 2005
  17. It took me a while to get to grips with, but I've long found it a
    great tool now. Finding the cheat sheat (certainly distributed with
    1.2, don't know about later versions) made the difference - reading
    the documentation properly might help people less impatient than me!
    I've found 2.x to be easier to use than 1.2.

    People I know who've used both Photoshop and the Gimp generally seem
    to prefer the former.

    Richard Kettlewell, Aug 7, 2005
  18. MJG

    Proteus Guest

    There are also a couple of good books out on usage of the GIMP; the best one
    seems to be "Grokking the GIMP"; I own it and another.

    Proteus, Aug 7, 2005
  19. MJG

    Lin Chung Guest

    You probably know this already. Carey Bunks' "Grokking the GIMP" is
    essential reading. The Preface of its free eBook edition tells you how the
    book got started, and why you should read the book:
    http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

    Lin Chung, Aug 7, 2005
  20. MJG

    Lin Chung Guest

    Sorry, didn't see your reply before I clicked 'Send' (my post).

    Lin Chung, Aug 7, 2005