    I was always told that the military started it but had no way of verifying
    that statement. I think universities were also involved in the beginnings
    of the internet.

    ProfGene, Oct 1, 2004

  2. fruitbat

    Me Guest

    Don't you know anything? It was Al Gore... :)

    Seriously though, you were absolutely right, and whoever marked it
    wrong was incorrect.

    Me, Oct 1, 2004

  3. fruitbat

    Justin Guest

    In the late 60's the Defense Dept.'s ARPA (advanced research project
    agency) hired a small Cambridge, Mass co. (BBM) to build an Interface
    Message Processor (a computerized switch). Then the ARPAnet was born and
    it initially linked about a dozen university computers spread around the
    country. It was thought to be a real advantage for the military to have a
    distributed way of communicating that wouldn't be effected if various nodes
    were destroyed (like in a nucleur war attack).

    Justin, Oct 3, 2004