Who 's News Groups Are these?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kat, May 7, 2004.

  1. slumpy spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, May 8, 2004

  2. slumpy spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    Been done by someone named Springer. :)

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, May 8, 2004

  3. It takes HOURS for you to write one of those?! Shit, I thought they just
    spontaneously spewed from that stout-soaked sponge between your ears!

    Gary G. Taylor, May 8, 2004
  4. kat

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, Gary G. Taylor emerged from the bunker
    carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
    Eee, a niiice pinta Stout'n'Mild makes yer shit dead black.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, May 8, 2004
  5. kat

    enemy Guest

    Usenet (the newsgroups) is a very old (relatively speaking - older
    than the World Wide Web) part of the internet.

    Organizations (corporations, universities, et alia) who own news
    servers exchange articles (postings) with other organizations.

    So, for example, an article posted on Wanadoo.fr, in France,
    eventually makes it to the news server of Earthlink.net, in the United
    States, perhaps going through NTL in England or McGill University in
    Canada.

    So Usenet belongs to everyone and no one. There are certain rules
    which are enforced by a sort of consensus.

    For example, if you want to start a new newsgroup in one of the older
    hierarchies (say rec.music.elmstreetband in the rec hierarchy) you
    don't HAVE to go through all the standard procedures including an
    election- you CAN just post a control message yourself. But a
    newsgroup is pretty useless if none of the big internet providers
    choose to carry it.

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/what-is/part1/

    enemy, May 9, 2004