Who owns the Internet, USENET, Web, etc.?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    RichA Guest

    The U.S. government will probably GIVE it to
    companies the way they gave the airwaves to
    broadcasters.
    -Rich

    RichA, Apr 20, 2005

  3. [/QUOTE]
    I don't mind sharing it with others.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    Nonymous Guest

    What airwaves have been 'given' to broadcasters?

    Nonymous, Apr 20, 2005
  5. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Apr 20, 2005
  6. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    Netmask Guest

    The Internet is not 'owned' by anyone, individual or government. Do a goggle
    'origins of the internet' for the full story. You will be surprised.

    Netmask, Apr 20, 2005
  7. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    Netmask Guest

    Most sovereign states are presumed to 'own' the airwaves as part of the
    commonwealth of that nation. Generally a particular spectrum or frequency is
    auctioned on certain conditions and the proceeds go into consolidated
    revenue along with all the other tax receipts collected in the country
    concerned to use to run government social services etc...
    beware of politicians who say "they stand for small government" - government
    is the biggest business in any country and is necessarily large and complex
    to run effectively just like IBM or Microsoft. Small government means giving
    away functions to big business, not good for democracy since running a
    business is based on shareholding and hence not democratic.

    Netmask, Apr 20, 2005
  8. I have been online a lot longer than Google, Yahoo, etc.
    have been in existence -- they ought to ask me.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 20, 2005
  9. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    Mark Spatny Guest

    RichA, says...
    Radio and TV stations pay license fees for the use of the spectrum.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 20, 2005
  10. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    Amit Guest

    NO ownershi was never with US government, It is a distributed system
    so nobody owns it and t the same time everybody who uses / contributes
    owns USenet/WWW
    etc. get more info at http://www.w3.org/Consortium/
    Usually IETF RFCs are used by W3C to evolve the standards .
    http://www.ietf.org

    Bandwidth ( not airwaves ) is a national resource so auctioned to
    various
    operators by various governments in different countries

    Amit, Apr 20, 2005
  11. Do having 'n' number of email accounts, domain names, sites and posting
    to NG's give me some ownership to the internet as well ?

    Prashant Raina, Apr 20, 2005
  12. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    Apollyon Guest

    Bah! Jay's not even in possession of his own senses. All he owns are
    an inflated ego, an inflatable woman, and a Cat Stevens album.

    Apollyon, Apr 20, 2005
  13. an inflatable woman, and a Cat Stevens album.

    How do u know ? Did u supply these to him ?

    Prashant Raina, Apr 20, 2005
  14. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    Apollyon Guest

    So you're saying Dr Jai Maharaj is mentally defective and should be
    committed to an asylum for a minimum of 25 years?

    Your intention was to make a derogatory comment about me but instead
    you insult the person you started off by defending.

    You really are too stupid for words.

    Apollyon, Apr 20, 2005
  15. It can. Make me an offer.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 20, 2005
  16. They did that in 1995. I guess you weren't watching :)

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 21, 2005
  17. Now they have auctions for RF spectrum. In the past it was awarded
    free to those who could serve the public best.

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 21, 2005
  18. I see that reading comprehension is not one of your strong
    points.Possibly your extended vacation in the mental asylum did not
    help with it either.

    I might be stupid , maybe even 'too stupid for words' but u r no
    Einstien either u monkey with a keyboard.

    Prashant Raina, Apr 21, 2005
  19. It can. Make me an offer.
    Jai Maharaj

    Rupees,dollars,euro or real estate in New Delhi ?

    Prashant Raina, Apr 21, 2005
  20. In Internet Rupees.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai