    Merv Guest

    Whomever is altering the subject line, could they please discontineu
    the practice.

    Merv, Feb 11, 2006

  2. What I gather is that it is the German equivilent to Re:
    but because our newsreading software doesn't know that, it does
    not automatically hide it.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Merv

    Horst Wagner Guest

    Yes you are true!
    Antw. is the german equivalent to re: and it was done automatically by my
    groupwise mail-software.
    So I will now try everytime to remove it manually :)
    Or better I just leave this newsgroup cause I seem to be not very welcome.
    Also my one and only question is answered by noone while I´m answering a
    bunch of questions :-(

    Horst Wagner, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Horst,

    The only question that I can find from you in comp.dcom.sys.cisco is

    "Antw: t.37 onramp on directly attached to the routers fxs-port"
    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp....read/thread/e695154e64788c18/c4caf5ab2a21de24

    In that message you asked,

    Hi folks is there really no one in the world having this running?
    I'm now asking for it in a bunch of forums and nobody answers!

    I searched googlegroups, and that is the only occurance of "t.37" in
    connection with your first name, "Horst", and the previous occurance
    of "t.37" in connection with "onramp" from anyone was July 2004.

    So, for whatever reason, we cannot see those previous times that you
    asked, and your question (which was posted only about 36 hours
    before the post I am replying to) did not have enough information
    in it for us to understand what you are trying to do.

    When you say "fxs-port" I am not sure whether you are referring
    to a fibre (FX) interface, or to something to do with Fax. I also
    cannot tell what platform or what software version you are using.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Hm.
    Horst, you are very welcome, and I did appreciate your answers to my
    questions very much.
    *If* I can help you (didn't see your question), I would be glad.
    But I think it should not be that difficult to use a newsclient which is
    able of the minimum aspects of usability and politeness.
    At least it's all about community.

    Christian

    Christian Lox, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Merv

    Pirke Guest

    Why should we use Re:? English is only spoken as native language by less
    than 6% or so of the world's population according to this list i found:
    Mandarin Chinese (836 million)
    Hindi (333 million)
    Spanish (332 million)
    English (322 million)
    Bengali (189 million)
    Arabic (186 million)
    Russian (170 million)
    Portuguese (170 million)
    Japanese (125 million)
    German (98 million)
    French (72 million)

    I suggest we use the Chinese equivalent! ;-)

    Pirke

    Pirke, Feb 13, 2006
  7. According to an article on Saturday in "The Globe And Mail"
    ("Canada's National Newspaper"), English is the second language of 40%
    of the world's population, so English is (more or less) understandable
    to more people than any other language.
    Doesn't Chinese have different ones depending upon the relative
    statuses of the people involved? ;-)

    Walter Roberson, Feb 13, 2006
  8. More importantly, the software is removing the header support lines
    that let normal newsgroup software thread the postings. Its like it
    makes new discussion topics half way through a response list out of
    the blue.

    Doug McIntyre, Feb 13, 2006
  9. Merv

    Rod Dorman Guest

    Perhaps he's referring to a POTS Foreign eXchange Subscriber interface.
    Does make it tough to offer any advice :)

    Rod Dorman, Feb 13, 2006
  10. So have the software display it in their native language for them.
    There's nothing that requires newsreaders to display headers exactly as
    they appear on the wire. It's already common to translate the time to
    the local timezone, so why can't a German newsreader display a header
    that arrives as:

    Subject: Re: whatever

    as:

    Thema: Antw: whatever

    But when it sends replies back out, it should use the standard format,
    so that it will look right for everyone else (their newsreaders can
    translate it to their local language if they want).

    Barry Margolin, Feb 14, 2006
  11. Barry Margolin a écrit :
    As required by RFC 2822 section 3.3

    "The date and time-of-day SHOULD express local time."
    A german newsreader could do whatever it wants including changing "Re:"
    to "Antw:" (or "Aw:" as some do), or not changing it at all, as the
    "subject:" field is a unstructured field in the RFC.
    Section 3.6.5 only suggest to use the latin (not english!) word "Re:" to
    indicate that it is a reply, but it is by no means a requirement.

    The only standard that applies at this point is paragraph 2.10 of RFC
    793 whic states "be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you
    accept from others.", or in other words, "Can't we all get along?"

    Francois Labreque, Feb 17, 2006