Who has a clever idea for storing AAs ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Thomas, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Bob Thomas

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:31:05
    I don't think "should be fine" follows from that advice -- I'd say instead,
    "may still be OK, but may have suffered some amount of permanent damage."
    Since prolonged storage under load can be harmful, it's not a good idea to run
    a battery flat in a flashlight.

    John Navas, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Bob Thomas

    John Navas Guest

    In <mcH2c.164849$> on Sun, 07 Mar
    It shouldn't be totally discharged. There's no good reason to do so.

    John Navas, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Bob Thomas

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:25:15 -0400,
    That's simply not true. The nominal voltage of a single NiMH cell (1.25V) is
    fixed by chemistry, no matter how it's constructed.
    The only way to have a different nominal voltage is to connect multiple cells
    in series, in which case the battery voltage is merely the sum of the cell
    voltages.

    John Navas, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    <http://data.energizer.com/batteryinfo/application_manuals/pdfs/nickel_metal
    _hydride.PDF>.

    what? They mention prismatic cells in that very app sheet...

    Nibbler, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    so all NIMH battery cells are equal in voltage by nature of being NIMH...

    right, and you'll never see a difference comparing 4 or more of one brand in
    series compared to 4 or more of another as the non-existant diffference
    won't be multiplied, because they don't exist because they are all NIMH, so
    have the same nominal voltage on average overall... hasn't been the case in
    my experiance... I guess variances in brands (and within the same brand)
    Ever need matched cells? if there is no variation because the chemistry
    makes it all equal, and it was just numbers picked differently for conviene
    sake, they wouldn't be a need matched cells and there would not be a market
    for testing and finding matched cells, would there?...)

    Nibbler, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Bob Thomas

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:12:11 -0400,
    That's three (3) cells at a nominal 1.2V (3 x 1.2 = 3.6) or 1.24V (3 x 1.24 =
    3.72).

    The small differences between 1.2 and 1.24 and 1.25 are due to the fact that
    cell voltage varies a bit by charge/capacity, and different folks pick
    slightly different numbers as the nominal voltage.
    There aren't any out there that are real.

    See Energizer's "NICKEL-METAL HYDRIDE Application Manual" at
    <http://data.energizer.com/batteryinfo/application_manuals/pdfs/nickel_metal_hydride.PDF>.

    John Navas, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Bob Thomas

    John Navas Guest