    Now I only carry AAs in case my boyfriend, who is still a user, needs
    them, you know how it is .... honest .....

    Rachael

    Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat, Mar 3, 2004

  2. And beware of cuddling up to anyone - all that friction in the pocket,
    yer know, ... nasty ! You just might go off without warning !
    "Burn out the day, burn out the night ..."

    Exploding lithiums - burn out the day indeed !

    Rachael

    Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Bob Thomas

    Paul H. Guest

    I tried that, too,but I keep getting mustard on the batteries.

    Paul H., Mar 3, 2004
  4. That's gotta hurt.

    The thought of them exploding too under the right circumstances -
    aaaiiieeee, no thanks.

    Rachael

    Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Bob Thomas

    Robertwgross Guest

    Ron, you need to pay attention also. When the AA batteries are in the Ziplock
    bag, of which we are discussing, then it simply can't happen. Maybe you carry
    one of those big rings of 40 keys the size of a dinner plate.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Bob Thomas

    Ron Hunter Guest

    NO. TWo sets of keys, two pocket knives, and miscellaneous coins. All
    nice and conductive, and some are sharp enough to puncture a ziplock
    bag. However, the stories are about LOOSE batteries. The bag should
    make this much less likely, but still quite possible.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Bob Thomas

    pltrgyst Guest

    I use the translucent or clear plastic snap cases that I get free from
    computer magnetic tapes.

    Those from DATs are perfect for AAAs. Those from 8mm Exabyte tapes
    hold 8 AAs apiece. They're about 3.5" x 2" and less than .75" thick,
    perfect for pockets. Nothing I've seen commercially comes close.

    -- Larry

    pltrgyst, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Bob Thomas

    Ol' Bab Guest

    I found a flashlight that uses four AAs. Classy item, and handy in its
    own right. Hardly ever gets turned on, so batteries remain fresh.

    Ol' Bab

    Ol' Bab, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Bob Thomas

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    GREAT idea! Kill two birds with one stone! :)

    Thanks, Old Bab

    Ken Weitzel, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Bob Thomas

    Paul H. Guest

    This is a good idea for another reason: batteries which are too discharged
    for use in a digital camera nevertheless retain enough power to be useful in
    a flashlight.

    Paul H., Mar 4, 2004
  11. Bob Thomas

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:21:01 -0800,
    Running rechargeable batteries too far down in a flashlight is a good way to
    permanently damage them.

    John Navas, Mar 4, 2004
  12. Bob Thomas

    MisNomer Guest

    Damage the batteries? really? Who would have thought that fully discharging
    them would ruin them? or are you talking of damaging the flashlight?

    And what kind of flashlight takes 4AA's - (from previous post.)

    take care
    Liz
    just wanna know things.

    MisNomer, Mar 4, 2004
  13. Bob Thomas

    MarkH Guest

    I think that John is referring to when a set of batteries gets drained too
    far and one or more cells go into negative voltage, this will damage them.

    MarkH, Mar 5, 2004
  14. Bob Thomas

    John Doe Guest

    The new rechargeable NiMHs do not suffer when partially discharged. This
    is good when you want to make sure you have fresh batteries, you just
    put fully charged ones in the device and charge the others.

    Out.

    John Doe, Mar 5, 2004
  15. Bob Thomas

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The danger is that NIMH batteries fully discharged may be permanently
    damaged if the polarity is reversed by other batteries in the device
    which have a slightly higher charge level. Most devices intended for
    NIMH use just stop working long before that danger point is reached, but
    flashlights don't know better.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 5, 2004
  16. Bob Thomas

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Fri, 05 Mar 2004 07:01:29
    Really bad idea!
    OK if the device turns off when battery voltage falls to a minimum safe level
    (as most digicams do).
    Full discharge is OK (but not necessary) as long as cell voltage isn't allowed
    to drop below the minimum safe level.

    John Navas, Mar 5, 2004
  17. Bob Thomas

    Paul H. Guest

    What? Batteries in a flashlight are connected in series, not parallel and a
    reversed-polarity battery in a series circuit would tend provide a charging
    current for the non-reversed batteries, raising the terminal voltage of the
    remaining cells, and reducing the putative current flow. Secondly, the
    non-trivial resistance of the filament combined with the rising internal
    resistance of the discharging cells would reduce the odds that discharge
    would proceed to the point at which polarity-reversal occurred, anyway.
    Thirdly, one would presumbly stop using a flashlight when its light output
    was reduced below an effective level and this point would occur well before
    the batteries were completely discharged. Fourthly, since the primary use
    of the batteries is in a digital camera, it seems likely that any reasonable
    user would charge the darn things in a timely fashion, since the whole point
    of the fricking flashlight was to serve as a carrier for spare cells to
    begin with!.

    And lastly, if you're still really, really concerned about polarity
    reversal, you can buy NiMH batteries with built-in polarity-reversal
    protection. If you're worried about being struck by a meteor, you might
    pick up a steel umbrella at the same time. Sheesh.

    Honestly, many of you folks quibble far too much over trivialities.

    Paul H., Mar 5, 2004
  18. Bob Thomas

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:33:20 -0800,
    Only if one noticed. It's uncommon for a flashlight to be left on unnoticed
    until the batteries are completely flat.
    Having had NiMH batteries damaged, I don't consider it a triviality.

    John Navas, Mar 5, 2004
  19. Bob Thomas

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Just got back from Wally Mart in Winnipeg, Canada with
    my new spare battery holders. :)

    They have many to choose from, including a couple
    of types that use LED's instead of bulbs.

    I got two spare battery holders... one a 4 AA
    LED flashlight, the other a 4AA AM/FM radio :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Mar 5, 2004
  20. Bob Thomas

    John Doe Guest

    In other words "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance ... baffle 'em with
    bullshit"

    From Eveready Battery Company's "NICKEL-METAL HYDRIDE Application Manual"

    "Discharge Termination in Batteries ...
    Normal manufacturing variation produces a range of capacities for battery
    cells. As these cells are combined in batteries, the effects of cell
    capacity variations are amplified by the number of cells in the battery.
    Use of termination voltage based on a simple multiple of 0.9V/cell times
    the number of cells may result in a weaker cell being driven into reverse
    significantly before the battery reaches the termination voltage. Both
    charging techniques that minimize the amount of overcharge applied to the
    cell and frequent repetitive discharging of the battery may exacerbate the
    problem. The result may be premature battery failure due to the damage
    caused by reversal of the weak cell."

    I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy being able to recharge your batteries
    without worrying about memory problems which NiMHs do not suffer from.

    John Doe, Mar 6, 2004