    made for precisely what you describe.

    Let me know.
    -Mark

    Mark M, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Bob Thomas

    SH Guest

    What a nice guy. Can a borrow a few bucks?

    SH, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    just a tip - when the coating rips on my AA's near the positive terminal, I
    put on a dab of "liquid tape" - liquid electric tape, around the top with a
    small paint brush. Found at Wal-Mart automotive section and other places.
    It's thin, bonds well, insulates nicely, and is available in several colors.

    Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Bob Thomas

    Mark M Guest

    I don't have bucks.
    I spent them all on battery cases...
    :)

    Mark M, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    it's a good idea to check before placing in the charger. (look for blocked
    vent holes / leakage / damage) or you could just roll the dice. It's your
    camera / charger / eye / etc. if anything goes wrong. usually preventive
    maintence is only done by those who care about their equiptment, or had to
    replace something expensive to them because they think a few seconds to
    inspect things to overkill.
    either.

    Some may do remote shooting, need a backup avalable in field, have flashes,
    meters, etc. that take AA's and prefer to have a common power source... If
    ya don't need them, more power to ya (sorry for pun)
    unless you drop them on the ground, they rub in your pack, break down from
    thermal cycling or poor bond... etc.

    Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    BTW, I repair those that merit insulation repair and are not leaking. Um,
    what do you do? throw them in the charger and cross your fingers?

    Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004
  7. Bob Thomas

    Robertwgross Guest

    I'm dead serious. It is a physical impossibility to get a bag full of AA
    batteries to short out from one to another. If you have some silly batteries
    without a proper insulating jacket on them, then that is just silly. You won't
    burn holes in your pockets either, unless it is a 9 volt battery (exposed
    contacts on the same end). If you take the time to try it, you will see what I
    mean.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Mar 3, 2004
  8. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    I've had older radio-shack nicads short. the insulation on one was
    apparently holding down a loose cap plate on the pos terminal. it shorted to
    the case and spot welded its self there. plastic literally melted off the
    case. this was when taking out of charger, hence my attitude toward
    inspection / maintenance. Even had a cell rupture before. (luckily not
    explode... and the *do* at times. that will make you a quick believer of
    inspection. To any whom had not had any bad battery experiences, all I can
    say is you have been lucky, had different variables, or perhaps not an
    extensive user?)

    Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004
  9. Bob Thomas

    Robertwgross Guest

    Done. It is not a problem.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Mar 3, 2004
  10. Bob Thomas

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Robertwgross) stated that:
    No, It's not highly likely, but it can happen, & sometimes does happen.
    Um. So, you inspect all your batteries after each shoot to make sure
    that the thin plastic coating on each hasn't gotten torn or scratched,
    then throw away any that aren't perfect?
    A ring of keys can easily bridge the distance between the terminals on
    an AA cell. They're also quite capable of scratching through the plastic
    coating on a battery, should I be foolish enough to put both in a jeans
    pocket.
    Again, it's the kind of event that's pretty rare, but it only has to
    happen once to make you *really* wish it hadn't. A single, ordinary
    2000mAH NiMH with half a charge left is perfectly capable of supplying
    enough current into a dead short to make metal glow red hot. Dunno about
    you, but that's not something I'm willing to risk happening in my camera
    bag, or worse, my pocket.

    Lionel, Mar 3, 2004
  11. Bob Thomas

    Robertwgross Guest

    I would never use a digital camera that uses AA batteries. Most decent digitals
    use Lithium ion battery packs, and they can't short out in my pocket, either.

    For any devices that use AA batteries, just make sure that they don't have any
    sharp edges, and then the insulating jacket can't get damaged.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Mar 3, 2004
  12. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    I would never use a digital camera that uses AA batteries.

    Hello. My name is Nibbler Welcome to our AA meeting. I am glad you no longer
    need AA, However,
    I am a long time user. I use extensively. Daily. It is a habit I can not
    stop. I know this is dangerous behavior and there are other alternatives,
    but they are my crutch as they are so easy to obtain. I tried a proprietary
    lithium mix once, but it was too expensive and hard to obtain when I needed
    my fix. I disliked the change to my comfortable lifestyle, and had a large
    stash, and so many beasts to feed, so I reverted back to my old ways.

    Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004
  13. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    I took after the shoot as, when returning to base... I rubberband in groups
    of four and place in a different pockets in camera bag, seperate from
    charged ones. and of couse I wouldn't throw defects away in the feild. I
    dispose of them properly. (one of the reasons I assumed you were talking
    about *after* as much later) do you inspect before recharge? damaged
    insulation does matter...

    Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004
  14. Bob Thomas

    Mark M Guest

    Perhaps with a 9V, but certainly not with standard AA.

    Mark M, Mar 3, 2004
  15. Bob Thomas

    Flycaster Guest

    I've been carrying baggies full of AA's around for many years - never had a
    single problem yet, and no "burn marks" either. Ditto with unbagged AAA's
    in a ski parka pocket (along with change) for my googles. Done that for
    years too.

    I dunno Bob, but it sounds like someone is trying to pull your leg. Either
    that, or he's been smoking rope.

    Flycaster, Mar 3, 2004
  16. Bob Thomas

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi Bob...

    If I may respectfully disagree with you, I still have
    the bad burn mark on my leg to prove that you surely
    can. (I'm pretty old, and therefore heal a little more
    slowly, but I guarantee it's there)

    And the batteries were Kodak branded, freshly charged
    for the first time. Put them in a quite tight pair
    of blue jeans pocket to go biking with the grand kids.

    Nothing else in the pocket.

    Please everyone, don't fool with them. And especially
    don't let the youngsters handle them!

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Mar 3, 2004
  17. Bob Thomas

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Robertwgross) stated that:
    Me either. It's my 550-EX flashgun that uses the NiMH AA cells. I
    generally carry 3 sets of spares & a set in the flashgun. I also carry 2
    spare BP-511 Li-Ions packs for the camera itself.
    Such as my EOS 10D, for example.
    Wanna bet? Speaking only for the BP-511 Li-ion packs that my Canon uses,
    a quick check with my multimeter proves that the battery terminals are
    live at teh full battery voltage. And while terminals are recessed, it's
    only by about a millimetre, & they're less than 15mm apart. Putting one
    of those battery packs in a pocket with keys or coins would be very
    risky - far more risky than with AA cells in fact, as the terminals are
    closer & Li-Ion batteries can actually *explode* if shorted out.
    <shrug> I keep mine in ziplock bags in a cloth pocket of my camera bag,
    & the BP-511s are stacked tightly in a separate pocket.

    Lionel, Mar 3, 2004
  18. Bob Thomas

    Lionel Guest

    No, I keep them in plastic bags in a pocket in my camera bag, which
    seems to do a pretty good job of preventing them from getting scratched
    up insulation in the first place. Additionally, I roll the batteries up
    the bags to both save space & keep them parallel to each other, so it
    wouldn't actually matter if the insulation was damaged.

    Lionel, Mar 3, 2004
  19. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    Yup .. I actually solved my problem today by going into Dick Smith's
    (that's like Radio Shack, for you US people) and bought for $2.60 a
    nice flat batery holder which fits 4 AAs exactly - I just had to cut
    off the wires - excellent. I was going for the slide case option, but
    came across this instead and it is just the thing!

    Sounds similar to your idea - and it certainly solved my problem.

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Mar 3, 2004
  20. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    Thanks a lot Mark, but as I'm in Australia, and I'm guessing you're in
    the US, it would be too costly for you.

    Thanks very much though .... and today I got a neat little holder from
    a local electronics store that does the job.

    Those ones of yours sounded good too .....

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Mar 3, 2004