    for four... Lets see... two side by side in oposite directions, with the
    other two at the ends, shorting out the end terminals... would take quite a
    bit of luck, and worn insulation on the end caps, though. ;-)

    Nibbler, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Bob Thomas

    Sorby Guest

    I'm sure I saw someone using slide cases to hold batteries - with an elastic
    band to hold the lid on.

    Other than that, this place sells loads of different battery cases :

    http://www.inanycase.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=I&Category_Code=BATT

    Sorby, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Bob Thomas

    Robertwgross Guest

    God! You people will believe anything. It is a physical impossibility to throw
    four AA batteries into a bag and have them short out to one another. Try it,
    and you will see.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Bob Thomas

    Charlie Self Guest

    Sorby posts:
    I like the 4 battery type that they above sells. A bit pricey, but you only
    need 3-4 of them. My camera-Dimage 7i--takes 4, so the I can keep units
    together, charge them together. When a set goes dead, I put them back in the
    case, but mixed--one end down, next one up, etc. When they are charged, they
    are all pointing up (or down, if you prefer).

    Charlie Self
    In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."

    Charlie Self, Mar 2, 2004
  5. I buy batteries from www.thomasdistributing.com. They throw in durable
    plastic containers, each of which holds two AA batteries.

    Marvin Margoshes, Mar 2, 2004
  6. Bob Thomas

    bob Guest

    I store mine in a little vinyl bag that came with a minidisc recorder. It
    has a drawstring at the top.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 2, 2004
  7. In a Fry's Electronics store, I found a canvas-like material case by a
    company called Hakuba.

    Each case can hold up to four AA batteries (right side) and also memory card
    (left side). The case zips closed and also has a clip that can be attached
    to a belt loop or key chain as needed.

    If you don't have a Fry's store near you, maybe their Outpost.com website
    might also have it.

    Whether or not that Hakuba battery/memory card case will actually fit in
    your camera bag depends on the overall size of your camera bag.

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Mar 2, 2004
  8. Bob Thomas

    RAD Guest

    I've used a plastic container intended for cigars. Light, not expensive,
    available in different sizes. Try a local tobacco shop like Tobacco Barn.

    RAD

    RAD, Mar 2, 2004
  9. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    Or alternately if you don't mind a round one... ask your
    With the right label, that would be funny(er) for lithium cells (backup or
    L-ion recharge. ;-)

    Nibbler, Mar 2, 2004
  10. Bob Thomas

    Ryan Robbins Guest

    Instead of getting clever, why not just buy a battery wallet? Tamrac's
    memory and battery management wallet can hold 16 AA-size batteries. There
    are four pockets. Each pocket has a red flap that you can pull out to
    indicate that the batteries in that pocket are exhausted. You can clip the
    wallet to your belt or camera bag.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...arch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=MXS5368

    -- Ryan

    Ryan Robbins, Mar 2, 2004
  11. Bob Thomas

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I had a battery get VERY hot in my pants pocket once. Won't happen again!
    NIMH batteries, even somewhat discharged, have a lot of current left to
    deliver, and any contact between the ends with stray metal can cause
    quite a bit of heat, in a short time.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 2, 2004
  12. Bob Thomas

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tell you what, Bob, drop those batteries in your pants pocket with your
    keys and coins and report back.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 2, 2004
  13. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:49:34 +1100, Bob Thomas

    Wow !!! What a great collection of ideas !

    Thanks guys ... I won't reply to each message seeing that there are so
    many, but for what it's worth this was my end choice (short pause and
    drum roll).

    The Slide Box - a perfect fit and sturdy too - I haven't used slides
    in years but I still have a few slide boxes around and they're just
    right.

    Second choice was the cassette tape holder, and if i hadn't got a
    slide box I'd have chosen that.

    There were lots of good places suggested in the US, but unfortunately
    here in Australia the mailing costs would be a tad prohibitive.

    Thanks again for all those great ideas.

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Mar 2, 2004
  14. Bob Thomas

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Or alternately if you don't mind a round one... ask your
    drugstore for a prescription bottle that will just
    snugly hold 4.

    If you can get one with a childproof cap all the better.
    (NiMh's aren't for kids :(

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Mar 2, 2004
  15. Bob Thomas

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    And I put 4 of them into a reasonably tight jeans pocket
    when I went biking with the grandkids. Never ever again! :(

    One of the batteries had a slight flaw in the plastic
    at the positive end so that the negative end of one of the
    others shorted it. Never ever again! :(

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Mar 2, 2004
  16. Bob Thomas

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Robertwgross) stated that:
    <nods> Same here, although I use ziplock bags that are far too small for
    sandwiches, so I can keep them from shorting each other out in the bag.

    It's worth mentioning that I keep my NiMH AA's grouped in bags of four
    at all times to ensure that they are always charged & used in a set.
    Mixing cells with different charge levels is bad for the batteries, &
    reduces the life of the charge in the set as a whole.

    Hm, that's kind of ambiguous. To clarify: if you have a set of four
    batteries, three of which still have a 1/3rd charge, & one of which is
    totally flat, the flat one won't charge properly when you charge it with
    the set, & you won't get a full charge out of the set when you next use
    it. If you ever find that you've mixed full & flat rechargables, you can
    recover by discharging each cell individually (eg; with a single-AA
    torch), then recharging them all as a set.

    Lionel, Mar 3, 2004
  17. Bob Thomas

    SH Guest

    SH, Mar 3, 2004
  18. Bob Thomas

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Robertwgross) stated that:
    Are you serious? The entire outer can of a typical AA cell is part of
    the negative terminal. All you have to do to short one out is to have
    something conductive contact both the positive terminal & the rim of the
    case. Something like the negative terminal of another battery, for
    example. Yes, many batteries have a plastic insulating jacket, but they
    often get ragged with use, & also I've seen plenty that don't insulate
    right up to the positive terminal anyway.

    Oh, & I also know two people who've managed to burn holes in their
    pockets from putting batteries in the same pocket as a set of keys.

    Lionel, Mar 3, 2004
  19. Bob Thomas

    Lionel Guest

    No problem. Jaycar Electronics (branches in every state in Australia)
    carries a wide range of battery holders. A quick check of my catalog
    suggests their Cat # PH-9200, 4x AA Square battery holder, at $1.25
    each. They're intended for powering devices though, so they have power
    terminals at one end, which you'd probably want to cover with electrical
    tape, or somesuch.

    Lionel, Mar 3, 2004
  20. Bob Thomas

    Nibbler Guest

    the new economy.. spend a 20 and get 2(4AA) holders, a dual C-cell case, and
    a 9V snap back in change. ;-)

    Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004