    unused for some time.

    Does anyone know if such a thing as a reliable, reasonably-priced CRT
    repairman still exists anywhere near central Auckland?

    Bystander, Jun 11, 2006

  2. Bystander

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Philips Computer Repairs Barrent st (I think) off walls road Penrose

    Collector_NZ, Jun 11, 2006

  3. Bystander

    zipdisk Guest

    Yes its called the Rubbish Tip..

    Best place for them..

    zipdisk, Jun 11, 2006
  4. Bystander

    GraB Guest

    Why?

    GraB, Jun 11, 2006
  5. Bystander

    Bystander Guest

    Thanks -- I'll check it out.

    Bystander, Jun 11, 2006
  6. Bystander

    Bystander Guest

    Huh.

    I take it that means you don't know. Roger, if you have nothing useful
    to contribute, please don't feel I'm expecting you to reply.

    Bystander, Jun 11, 2006
  7. Bystander

    EMB Guest

    15 Bassant Ave, Penrose. Ph (09) 579-7393

    EMB, Jun 11, 2006
  8. Bystander

    XPD Guest

    Probably because he could never afford anything over a 14" for himself and
    is jealous ;)

    Im still on a CRT Woger, should I take it to the tip as well ?

    XPD, Jun 11, 2006
  9. Naah ... take Roger instead.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 11, 2006
  10. Bystander

    Geopelia Guest

    The red is intermittent on my monitor. I've been told it will cost more to
    fix than a new monitor. I'm not getting inside with a soldering iron.
    ..
    And how does an elderly woman pick up a 19 inch PROVIEW monitor and carry it
    down the steps out to the car? I'm strong, but it's a two man job!

    I don't play games so it doesn't really matter anyway.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 11, 2006
  11. The red is intermittent on my monitor. I've been told it will cost more to
    I'm sure there is someone that reads these newsgroups near your
    location kind enough to offer to assist you. If you were near me I
    would assist anyway. Privacy is a concern, but if you were willing to
    say at least what suburb you were in then you might get an offer. Just
    a thought. I would if you are close by. Or, perhaps your family can
    help?

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 12, 2006
  12. Bystander

    Geopelia Guest

    Thanks for the kind thought, but as it's working apart from losing the red
    I'll keep it going as long as it lasts. The computer man can take it away
    when he brings another. You never know, it could go for years yet.
    It will print in red OK.

    We will get a flat one when it finally collapses.

    Geopelia, Jun 12, 2006
  13. Bystander

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Dam Pedants, I was close enough

    Collector_NZ, Jun 12, 2006
  14. We will get a flat one when it finally collapses.

    No problem. You wouldn't regret getting on sooner than later anyway. I
    know several people that have them, and well worth the investement in
    my view (if at all computer equipement could be viewed as an
    investment) :)

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 12, 2006
  15. Bystander

    E. Scrooge Guest

    You'd pay a lot for a flat LCD monitor that display text as well as a CRT
    monitor can.
    And when it comes to editing pictures there's hardly any choice at all.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 12, 2006
  16. Bystander

    TKKGHCMT Guest

    So it's something a bit more complex than a dodgy wire in the cable that can
    be "tweaked" by twisting the cable to the right angle?

    TKKGHCMT, Jun 12, 2006
  17. Bystander

    Geopelia Guest

    I've tried that a lot, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Now and then
    it suddenly comes on while I'm working. I suspect something loose or broken
    inside.

    Geopelia, Jun 12, 2006
  18. Bystander

    Geopelia Guest

    I'll have to see if it is good enough for text, that is what I use most.

    Geopelia, Jun 12, 2006
  19. Bystander

    E. Scrooge Guest

    It's simply not as clear on an LCD monitor. Have a look at the text here.
    Especially the letter the "e" and any other letter that that has very thin
    parts that make it up. The thin parts don't show up ass well on a LCD
    monitor.
    The text on CRT is pretty well black on white. The text on LCD is more like
    black and grey on white.
    Any LCD monitor that does look better than most won't be cheap.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 12, 2006
  20. Bystander

    zipdisk Guest

    What a load of utter Crap this person spouts on.

    Post some thing when you have really used one, or know what you are talking
    about..

    zipdisk, Jun 12, 2006