Who can be a Time Stamp Authority?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Mark Gifford, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Mark Gifford

    Mark Gifford Guest

    Hi

    I've been googling like mad trying to find as much information as I can
    about the authorities involved in digital time-stamping but I've not had
    much luck and am probably as confused as I was before I started.

    Some companies' web pages, such as Certum's at
    http://www.certum.pl/english/eng/services/ts/ have statements saying they
    are the first TSA in Europe. How do you become TSA in the first place i.e.
    which other official authority is responsible for overseeing European TSAs,
    or can any company claim to be a TSA - maybe if they satisfy the suggestions
    in RFC3628 "Policy Requirements For TSAs"? Or is it that you publish a TSA
    policy and your customers are satisfied with this (and therefore use your
    service) that makes you a TSA?

    Is there a list of "official" TSAs published somewhere?

    If anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated.

    Mark

    Mark Gifford, Feb 4, 2004

  2. It's even simpler than that, it works a bit like the Universal Life Church
    (anyone's accepted), all you need to do is publish a web page telling people
    you're a TSA.

    (Hmm, I wonder if you could get the ULC to ordain you as a TSA? I guess it'd
    work, your God would be PKI, X.509 as the sacred scriptures, etc etc.
    There's certainly enough dogma there to qualify it as a religion).

    Peter.

    Peter Gutmann, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Mark Gifford

    sponge Guest

    It helps to have an atomic clock.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Secure Solutions
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com

    ;)

    sponge, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Not really. You could run without any clock at all as long as you report the
    accuracy correctly. For example I could run one accurate to within one
    calendar day without the use of a clock, and rely on sequence numbers for
    ordering. Even if you need an accurate time source, a GPS or NIST/<whatever
    your local time source is> receiver will do just as well.

    Peter.

    Peter Gutmann, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Mark Gifford

    zenner Guest

    The great equalizer is, no one will "sync" with an inaccurate clock. The
    biggest issue is not getting people to sync with an accurate clock, but to
    prevent overuse or continuous sync.

    : On 4 Feb 2004 15:56:58 GMT, (Peter Gutmann)
    wrote:
    :
    : >
    : >>Hi
    : >
[...]
    : ;)

    zenner, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Mark Gifford

    Jim Watt Guest

    Not really, my time is accurate enough without that sort of
    trouble, and you need to change the bulb every so often
    as the caesium is consumed..

    The accuracy of my clock exceeds the ability of a computer
    clock to track it.

    If you are interested in the art of timekeeping, take a look at
    the following sites dedicated to it.

    http://www.leapsecond.com
    http://www.clockvault.com/

    Jim Watt, Feb 5, 2004
  7. If all you're interested in is serialisation (proving that event A happened
    before event B), which is very often the case, you can sync with a stopped
    clock because you've still got the serial number to work from. That's what I
    meant in my previous post when I said I could run a TSA with a calendar.

    Peter.

    Peter Gutmann, Feb 6, 2004