    connects one to a web page. They really expect people to buy this
    garbage? FWIW. I don know. Anybody else seen this crap. About giving
    away a sony play station or some such crap.

    joevan, Apr 15, 2005

  2. joevan

    Dave Lear Guest

    When you start to get spam into a disposable account it's time to dispose of
    it. That's why you used a disposable one in the first place, right?
    The email will be in HTML format and although it looks like text what you're
    actually reading will be a single .GIF or .JPG image (which just happens to
    be a picture containing text) which acts as a hyperlink to the spammer's
    intended website. Clicking on the picture / hyperlink will confirm that the
    email address you received the email into is valid and used and can be sold
    on as 'live' to other spammers.

    The easiest way to block this stuff is to not read any emails formatted with
    HTML. That's easy to do in an email client, although not necessarily in a
    webmail client. For instance, in Outlook Express...

    Tools

    Read tab

    [ x ] Read all messages in plain text

    Security tab

    [ x ] Block images and other external content in HTML email

    Dave Lear, Apr 15, 2005

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Eggs Ackly. will do.
    Raht on, and goodby to the garbage. Therin lies one really good reason
    to not give out your real email addy except to tried and tested
    entities.
    Yeah, thanks, I long ago disallowed html in my outlook express
    account. I get no spam there at all.
    I guess there are a lot of people who fall victim to these cretins.
    My outpost blocks any of this garbage and when asked I just say block
    them. I consider those that try to advertize using these tactics
    juvinal. Who but a do-do would buy anything from them.?
    Sorry for the rant. I just hope everybody will learn something from
    this post or posts.

    joevan, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Sounds to me like you're trying to highlight text that appears in an
    image.
    I think we've all see spam.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 15, 2005
  5. joevan

    JANA Guest

    You should stop opening up Spam mails. Only open emails that look
    legitimate. Spam mails have non standard type Subject headings, advertising
    content, and usually come with attachments, that you have not requested.

    It is a good practice to learn about how to recognize Spam mail, and simply
    delete them without wasting a lot of time on them.

    Spam mail is a nuisance that we all have to put up with. It is unfortunate
    that this type of scum exists. It is unfortunate that law enforcement has no
    power to enforce the eradication of it.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Processing & Tracking Dept <
    Changed the com to con, seems more to the truth.

    One of my disposable hotmail accounts gets some junk of late, ever
    since I did a bit of ancestory searching. Whoever these creeps are
    seem to post an entire message as a single unit or whatever.
    Can't copy a part of it, trying to select a small part with the mouse

    JANA, Apr 15, 2005
  6. joevan

    trout Guest

    <snip>

    A Hotmail account with *no* spam? I suppose it could happen, but
    you'd have to have an address that looked like the Greek alphabet
    backwards to completely eliminate 'phone book' or 'dictionary' mailings.
    No need to give up on an account that easily, though. Hotmail, for
    example, has user settings to use like being set to 'exclusive': anyone
    not in the address book is sent directly to the bulk folder, for
    automatic deletion after a user-defined time period.
    There are also display settings to exclude pictures and web content
    from mail, and warn you if you are clicking a link.
    An old Hotmail account may seem redundant, especially in these days
    of giant Gmail accounts, but under some circumstances (like you've got a
    'good name' that's not available elsewhere, or you'd have to re-route
    newsletters or product updates) it's just easier to keep it.
    It's still serving its main (for me) function of keeping the spam
    out of your 'real' inbox.

    trout, Apr 15, 2005
  7. joevan

    JANA Guest

    In theory a disposable account is ideal. The problem is that if someone is
    running a business and has paid advertising for their email address, or is
    dependent on their clients contacting them, this can get to be a problem.

    There are services where the client has to enter a return confirmation in
    order for the email to go through. This adds an extra burden on to the
    sender, and many people (clients) are not patient to use this type of
    service.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 15, 2005
  8. I see dumb people.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 15, 2005
  9. I see London, I see France

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 16, 2005
  10. joevan

    gangle Guest

    gangle, Apr 16, 2005
  11. Blinky the Shark, Apr 16, 2005
  12. joevan

    riddick Guest

    riddick, Apr 16, 2005
  13. Blinky the Shark, Apr 16, 2005
  14. Damn, they're awfully restrictive. No carrying dead fish around in the
    ocean, no molesting sharks ... what else can you do on vacation?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 16, 2005
  15. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Yeah, but can you hear them.

    joevan, Apr 16, 2005