    lighting applications?

    Thanks in advance,

    Lohkee

    Lohkee, Mar 6, 2004

  2. I've cooked chicken in the dark by LED -- it's not a pretty sight. I
    suspect the spectrum is completely wrong for photography, although it may
    be possible to correct colors in software. You might do a search to see if
    you can find the spectrum of white LEDs and see how that compares to
    incandescent lamps and fluorescent lighting.

    Phil Stripling, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Lohkee

    Mikey S. Guest

    You might want to check out this page
    http://www.photoprojects.net/index8.html
    I recalled seeing it a while back, the author has been experimenting with
    LEDs in ringlights for macro work, he might have some information to share
    on the topic.

    Mikey S., Mar 7, 2004
  4. Lohkee

    Sf Guest

    Cost, Cost, very expensive.

    Sf, Mar 7, 2004
  5. The spectrum of the white LED consists mostly of yellow and blue light.
    Nearly no red. So while this light looks whit (because the yellow photons
    trigger the read and the green sensors in the human eye) the color of
    objects is greatly distorted: red objects look very dark.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Mar 7, 2004

  6. I've not tried it, but it would seem as though the LEDs wouldn't be
    very bright. I occasionally visit an LED forum frequented by
    almost-rabid LED flashlight fans. They're realistic enough to realize
    that LEDs don't work very well for general room lighting--not bright
    enough.

    I have a Nikon LED macro light, but haven't had to use it, yet.

    Orrin

    Orrin Iseminger, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Lohkee

    Lohkee Guest

    Do you think it would be possible to offset this effect by mixing/tuning the
    LEDs, i.e. an RBG array?

    Lohkee

    Lohkee, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Lohkee

    Lohkee Guest

    I would agree if we were talking about "normal" 5mm LEDs. There is a company
    producing "LEDs on steroids" (Lumiled) called the Luxeon. Unlike normal LEDs
    these puppys run at up to 1000mA. They have been used (5 LED array) to
    produce automobile headlights in the new audi (so I am assuming they are
    fairly bright). I would agree that LEDs are not (as yet anyway) suitable for
    general room lighting, however, I guess my question is this: Is this really
    important to the photographer who in my (admittedly very limited) experience
    seems interested only in lighting a subject in front of the camera? It seems
    to me that LED studio lighting would have numerous benefits to the
    photographer; low power consumption, low lifetime maintainance, very small
    and lightweight, AC/DC operation (portability), low heat generation (perhaps
    not such a big plus for those working with the nude), etc. I can see where
    they might not work so well with film cameras due to a lack of automatic
    white balance, but digital equipment should overcome this? I would be very
    interested to hear of your experince with your new ring light.

    regards,

    Lohkee

    Lohkee, Mar 7, 2004
  9. Lohkee

    Nibbler Guest

    if you really want...
    There are companys that makes LED arrays for street lights...
    http://www.led.net/datasheets/traffic_index/traffic_index.htm
    billboard illumination...
    http://www.oksolar.com/billboards/
    http://www.oksolar.com/stl/stl_parts_fixtures.htm

    google LED "street lights" - lots to choose from...

    Nibbler, Mar 7, 2004
  10. Lohkee

    joearndt59

    Joined:
    May 24, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    1000 White LED Light

    I own 1000 White LED Light Film Lighting Equipment Gel Filters Stand1080P...I really like the lights..

    They perform pretty good and gives top notch quality....

    joearndt59, May 24, 2014