    emits a high pitched whine about as loud as a power supply fan, no scraping
    noise

    Ran all manufactures test and results were good. Should I be concerned?

    Dominic, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Dominic

    PC Guest

    Best compared to another drive of the same make/model.
    If noticably 'whinier' (groan) then it may well be the bearings.
    Hard drive diagnostics usually can not detect a mechanical failure of this
    type.

    That drive is around 3-4 years old so nearing it's 'use by' date anyway, I'd
    drag the data off it just to be safe.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 21, 2005