Whinging Poms get WIN 7 for 1/2 the price. 2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, Aug 20, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    Woger, Aug 20, 2009

  2. Woger

    Bobs Guest

    Bobs, Aug 20, 2009

  3. Woger

    Alan Guest

    Is that cost per annum?

    If so, are the licenses valid for the duration of your 'membership' or
    are they perpetual (as for a normal retail license)?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Aug 23, 2009
  4. Woger

    AD. Guest

    If it is anything like Technet was years ago (the last time I used it)
    or Action Packs are these days, that is the cost per year.
    Only applies while your subscription is current, and not only that -
    the licenses are only for evaluation/test purposes and can't be used
    in production.

    And I'm pretty sure that sharing em around isn't kosher either.

    Which raises the question, if you are going to violate the license
    anyway, why bother signing up at all?

    AD., Aug 23, 2009
  5. Woger

    Bobs Guest

    Subscription is per annum.
    They are valid for as long as you need to use it. No limitations, it's
    a normal retail key.

    Bobs, Aug 24, 2009
  6. Woger

    Bobs Guest

    Rubbish, they are normal keys. If the sub expires the key is still
    yours as far as I know.
    Why? You've paid for them, if you want to give it away then that's
    your decision.

    Bobs, Aug 24, 2009
  7. Woger

    Bobs Guest

    I've checked this out.

    1) Yes, the keys are for good. You can use them even after your sub
    has expired. That's the consensus online.
    2) Legality of sharing a technet subscription is suspect. In fact, i
    don't think it is legal. So forget I suggested it. Still cheap to get
    one yourself anyway.

    Bobs, Aug 24, 2009
  8. Its worthwhile pointing out that more information about the TechNet
    Plus subscription is available online
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/subscriptions/bb892759(en-us).aspx

    and the license terms
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/subscriptions/cc294422(en-us).aspx

    the subscription is per user, if you have 3 users using TechNet
    software you are meant to have 3 subscriptions, also the software
    doesn't time out but it is for evaluation, testing, and training only,
    not for use in production etc

    "Single User License. If you acquire a single user license, one user
    may install and use copies of the software on any of your devices."

    "Evaluation Software. One user may install and use copies of the
    evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you
    obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to
    evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging
    environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up."

    Cheers
    Nathan
    MSNZ

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 24, 2009