    5. doesn't require my laptop to be turned on for it to work (eg. not wifian.com)
    6. is cheap

    Can anyone suggest any devices? Many thanks in advance!

    benhood.move, Feb 3, 2012

  2. To connect with the school system you will need a router that as
    "Client" mode access and not just "Access Point" mode. Many cheaper
    routers do not include the Client mode option which will be needed so
    your router can become a client of the school's wireless hub, just like
    a PC would. The other thing will be to get the password from the
    school's IT department, provided you are allowed to access their system.

    The other thing to keep in mind if you are using the factory firmware is
    that it has the same security options that the school router is using,
    like WEP, WPA, or what ever.

    Rather than suggest a particular model I'm going to refer you to a web
    link that shows routers that are compatible with DD-WRT, which is a 3rd
    party router firmware. If the router will run that firmware (and you
    load the proper DD-WRT version into the router) you will have the
    "Client" mode available. Other firmware's are available like "Tomato"
    but I find a larger list of devices compatible on the DD-WRT list.

    Link to supported devices.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

    Link for Client Mode help.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

    From here it is mostly personal preference in router and cost of
    available units. Many times DD-WRT will run on a router costing in the
    $15.00 price range and up to units like an Asus RT-16n which would be
    overkill for your application, but a nice unit since you can plug a USB
    printer and USB hard drive into it and use it as a file server as well
    as print server. Used routers on the compatibility list are a good bet
    from places like used computer stores or places like the Salvation Army.
    Just be sure the model AND hardware revision level match what is on
    the list.

    GlowingBlueMist, Feb 7, 2012