Which VPN Method More Secure?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by melickas, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. melickas

    melickas Guest

    We want to setup a VPN. Of these methods listed listed, which is most
    secure/stable for running Terminal Server through? Both remote site and
    local site have Static IPs from ISP. Assume Linksys routers are
    configured properly. THese routers will be used in combination with a
    firewall product called Black Ice-though based on recommendation, may
    be changed.

    1. Using Windows 2003 Server as VPN Server by configuring RRAS - No
    hardward/firewall routers involved.
    2. Using (1) Linksys RV042 router at main site & regular cable router
    at remote site.
    3. Using (2) Linksys RV042 routers (1 at each site).

    I know this is a pretty general question. But some of our remote users
    will not always have an RV042 Router with Static IP as they may be at
    home or traveling. The will just have a regular cable/dsl router.

    If using these routers, what level of encryption would be recommended?

    Thanks

    melickas, Jan 22, 2007

  2. melickas

    Houston SBC Guest

    In a commercial, high useage environment run from LinkSys. They are OK for
    home, but if you value your job---Don't use them.
    I make more money replacing their products in high useage environments. They
    cost approx $100 and a real Cisco $3000--there is a reason they cost less.

    If most of your clients are MS 2000/XP then the 2003 Server with RRAS is a
    fine solution. I have used the PPTP VPN with no problem. It's easy to setup
    and secure. Now I know this will start a flame but ipsec is just overkill
    and much more complicated.

    If the value of your data is immense, then use ipsec with a certificate
    infrastructure. Otherwise, your wasting money.
    A SSL VPN may also do the trick.

    There is always a trade-off between the value of the data, ease of
    implementation/maintenance, and cost.

    Houston SBC, Jan 25, 2007

  3. melickas

    melickas Guest