    etc. ?)

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Dan DiNicolo Guest

    If you go the free route, I strongly suggest AVG. It's free for personal use
    only, but does include both email scanning and regular updates. What it
    lacks are "features" like 24/7 updates and access to a faster server for
    definition downloads. I've never had an issue with it, though. So, in
    exchange for free, you get no support.

    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Good luck,
    Dan

    Dan DiNicolo, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Robert11

    joevan Guest

    Kaspersky is good. I have been using it for a while now and it is
    great.
    joevan

    joevan, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Personally, I've used Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus since about 1998
    (it was InoculateIT back then) and have never had an infection. You can get
    eTrust along with the CA version of the ZoneAlarm firewall free for a year:

    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    Virus definitions are updated almost daily.

    You can also buy the (more recent) stand along version of eTrust AV at that
    same URL for $14.95.

    Oxford Systems, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Robert11

    WormWood Guest

    AVG is everything you'll need.
    <http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php>

    WormWood, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Robert11

    pete Guest

    I am no expert but I do know that many folks including me have had
    problems with AVG these last few days as it has updated to AVG 7 and
    stops working properly with XP. I have reluctantly ditched my Grisoft
    protection after many years of good service because of this and now
    have Avast installed. I done this on the advice of another poster to
    my local ng who seemed to know about it long ago. I am surprised to
    see so many experts recommending it here still.
    pete

    pete, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Cant go wrong with Avast its free and it does auto updates to the database,
    its easy to use, no problems at all with it, works fine with SP2 i've been
    using it for a couple of years after ditching AVG

    Dr Hackenbush, Dec 30, 2004
  8. Robert11

    WormWood Guest

    What kind of problems and/or what does 'working properly' mean?

    I have reluctantly ditched my Grisoft
    If you are satisfied with Avast, perhaps you should keep it. Sometimes
    these decisions come down to 'personal preference' alone. Anything but
    Norton and McAffee, imho.

    I done this on the advice of another poster to

    WormWood, Dec 30, 2004
  9. I have tried various free packages and they all work OK but I think
    their update frequency and comprehensive coverage is, I fear, less
    than Norton's. I have gone back to using NAV (Version 9.05.15) with
    Win XP Pro SP2 and have had very few problems. It picks up and
    deletes or quarantines around 10 infected emails per day, out of the
    around 2-300 emails I get. I also use NIS.

    I'm not sure what version of NAV you have but from and after the
    version that comes with NIS 2003, all versions work OK with XP SP2 as
    far as I know.

    I have only ever had one problem with NAV, well, one problem repeated
    several times. Usually when detecting an infected email attachment,
    it repairs the file or deletes the attachment and leaves a message to
    that effect, and quarantines the file if it can't repair it.
    Sometimes, instead of quarantining the individual email, it
    quarantines the Forte Agent data file that contains the infected
    email. This also quarantines all the other good emails related to
    that data file - it can be hundreds! I have managed to find a way
    around it by restoring the data file without fixing the faulty email
    (very carefully) and then deleting the individual infected email
    without opening the attachment, but it's a bit of a worry!

    So if you can get a cheap update to NAV, I would tend to stick with
    it, even though Symantec can be a bit of a problem to deal with
    sometimes, they are so big now.

    Peter Wilkins, Dec 31, 2004
  10. Robert11

    pete Guest

    It doesn't allow OE to work for some folks and in my case it also
    stopped mailwasher working.
    Yes I will never use Norton again.
    pete

    pete, Dec 31, 2004