    Which linux would be the most easy and userfreindly to install for a
    complete newbie.

    Thanks

    Joe, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Possible: yes. Worhwhile: depends on your abilities and your
    needs/desires.
    I often see Mandrake recommended for beginners. If you make the plunge,
    then also subscribe to alt.os.linux.mandrake .

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks Blinky, I'll look up Mandrake

    Joe, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Joe

    mAineAc Guest

    I use slackware and have used it exclusively on all my machines since I
    started using linux 5 years ago. there is no need to dual boot unless
    you use windows for something specific. One excellent beginner distro is
    suse I believe it is up to 9.2 now. Anoher good one a lot of my friends
    are raving about is ubuntu. You best bet is to go to linux.com and look
    around.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Joe

    Parko Guest

    I use Mandrake 10.1. Excellent installer and hardware detetection. Why
    not get a live CD and try Linux that way before you commit to an
    installation?

    http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/move/
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/ftp/live_eval_int.html
    http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

    Parko, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Joe

    Conor Guest

    Yes it is possible to dual boot and most distros will handle this no
    problem. but what will Linux offer you that Windows doesn't do?

    My personal preference is for SuSE.

    Conor, Jan 10, 2005
  7. Joe

    jon brookes Guest

    There is a Linux distribution that works directly off CD
    (it boots like a floppydisk)..its called Knoppix v3.6
    check it out on Google..JB

    jon brookes, Jan 10, 2005
  8. As the aquatic creature with the dorsal fin and all the teth says,
    Mandrake is a good distro, with a very good user-friendly installer.
    SUSE is also pretty good.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 10, 2005
  9. Joe

    gust Guest

    Is their a version of linux that would really really suit the absolute
    http://www.knoppix.net

    it's free and you don't even have to install it ... runs from a CD so ya
    can keep yer current setup while trying it out

    a recent book just came out about knoppix that has lots of tips and the
    CD ... so ya don't even have to DL it iffya spring $20 for the book at
    yer local bookstore or amazon etc ........... the book is pretty good ..
    worth 20 clams no doubt ........

    ISBN: 0596007876

    :)

    gust, Jan 20, 2005
  10. Joe

    edard Guest

    There is a very small (50MB) Linux that you can download, burn to a CD, boot
    that CD for a try at some Linux. Take a look at http://damnsmalllinux.org/
    The forum there is very helpful. Only about 4 hours to download on dialup.
    From this 50 MB you can install to hard drive if you like and upgrade from
    there. Knoppix/Debian based, it is very impressive. I run it on my older
    laptop, dual booting with Win98.
    HTH

    edard, Jan 20, 2005
  11. Joe

    JPB Guest

    Another good option book+CD+DVD tutorials is "Point & Click Linux":

    Haven't actually looked at the book yet, but have used the distribution a
    fair bit and been generally very impressed with the features and ease of
    use for new users.

    JPB, Jan 20, 2005