Which to pick between these two gfx cards?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Daniel, Aug 22, 2005.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Looking at possibly purchasing either one of these two AGP gfx cards:-
    * ATI X800 Pro - $340 (ATI 3 year warranty)
    * Leadtek A400 6800 GT - $350 (1 year warranty)

    I missed out on a new retail version Gigabyte X800 XT for $360 (too slow
    on my part), so I'm just wondering about these other cards.

    The appealing thing about the X800 Pro *appears* to be the single slot,
    low power consumption (relatively). However, it looks like the 6800 GT
    is a faster card, but, whether it's fast enough to make it a better buy
    than the X800 Pro - I'm not sure.

    I've got a 400W PSU, which I'm confident will choke on the 6800 GT, but,
    I'm not sure about the X800 Pro.

    Has anyone had experience with these cards, I'm just weighing things up
    at the moment.

    TIA.

    Daniel, Aug 22, 2005

  2. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I'm looking at these cards in preparation for what looks like an influx
    of games based on next gen 3D engines (I include the Source, Doom, and
    BF2/Unreal engines as these), and I'm thinking now may be a good time to
    upgrade my "aging" R9600XT (I can still sell it for over $100) - instead
    of waiting until it "depreciates" to the point where I'd struggle to
    give it away, figuratively speaking.

    It's been interesting to observe the effect that BF2 has had on older
    gen top-end (Ti4200-4800) card prices.

    Daniel, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Daniel

    XP Guest