    Which Software is best for securely deleting files (Gov Standard) and
    sanitizing hard drives?

    TIA

    david jones, Aug 11, 2006

  2. david jones

    Gerard Bok Guest

    dban.sourceforge.net/

    Gerard Bok, Aug 11, 2006

  3. david jones

    Admins Guest

    Eraser, it's free and we have it in the privacy software section of our web
    site, regards
    --
    Admin

    * www.privacyoffshore.net (No Logs Internet Surfing)
    * Anonymous Secure Offshore SSH-2 Surfing Tunnels

    Admins, Aug 12, 2006
  4. But you're aware of the limitations of Eraser when deleting files from
    an active file system? I might address much more problems than the
    common bullshitty programs, but SDelete from Sysinternals still does a
    better job. It also has a description of what exactly it does and why it
    does so.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 12, 2006
  5. david jones

    Admins Guest

    These programs and the end result they give is always a matter of opinion,
    but eraser is an excellent free product that far exceeds the government 7
    wipes standard. Eraser works on all the windows operating systems and can
    go as high as 35 wipes and will wipe slack space, directory entries, master
    file table entries, and still gives the option of user defined parameters.
    It sounds interesting, but I've always been a fan of eraser. I'm glad you
    didn't bring up EE, lol

    Admins, Aug 12, 2006
  6. david jones

    Vanguard Guest

    http://www.killdisk.com/

    Vanguard, Aug 12, 2006
  7. No, about technical implementation.
    Well, there's absolutely no need to do more than about 4 overwrites.
    But it doesn't pay attention to journaling file systems carefully. It
    might and does provably happen that some data still exist in the
    journal, and it also might and does provably happen that you're writing
    to new clusters exclusively allocated instead of overwriting the old
    clusters.

    That's why I referred to the description of SDelete's algorithm.
    Eraser and SDelete are about the only known serious implementations.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 12, 2006
  8. david jones

    ~David~ Guest

    What about the linux command shred? Does that work well against forensic hard
    drive software?

    ~David~, Aug 12, 2006
  9. david jones

    Guest Guest

    PGP has a wipe disk option.

    Guest, Aug 12, 2006
  10. david jones

    malam Guest

    Try Steganos Shredder - its part of the Steganos Security Suite 9
    www.steganos.com). there is a trial download too.

    malam, Aug 13, 2006
  11. Actually no. It's an outdated software that never addresses modern
    issues like journaling.

    Well, why don't you try it on your on. Run Windows with an NTFS file
    system or Linux with ext3. Write some content, overwrite it with 'shred'
    or alikes, the immediately do a hard shut down and then search for the
    previous content of the file.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 13, 2006
  12. david jones

    Truncat Guest

    The answer can only be partial, I have tried PGP Wiper, Steganos Wiper,
    and Paragon, without doubt I prefer Paragon Disk Wipe the reason being is
    the number of choices it gives you are overwhelming, and the only wiping
    software I know of that can delete a whole OS booting from a CD-Rom. I
    heard DBAN is good too but havent tested it.

    Neither PGP Wiper, Steganos or Paragon are free, DBAN is.

    Truncat, Aug 13, 2006
  13. Who cares, if it doesn't do its job right?
    Lol? I can even do this from the running system with 'dd' under Windows,
    but surely almost any Linux/BSD Live CD does the job as well.

    I heard DBAN is good too but havent tested it.
    And apples are no bananas. DBAN is supposed to overwrite entire
    partitions and harddisks, but not single files - and isn't suitable for
    the latter either.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 14, 2006
  14. david jones

    Anonyma Guest

    But alternating shred/sync calls does.

    Anonyma, Aug 15, 2006
  15. Uh, no. This just addresses caching in RAM and at the hard disk.

    Journaling means that a copy of the data exists somewhere else, and that
    writing to the very same files might end in allocation of new sections
    while freeing previous ones, leaving a copy as well.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 15, 2006
  16. david jones

    Vanguard Guest

    A huge SUITE of multiple programs when just one will do quite nicely?
    Geesh. Even SysInternals has a file "shredder" utility without having
    to do a disk install of a suite of program, especially since that is
    the disk you want to erase! The user wanted to sanitize an entire
    disk, not have to install 45 megabytes of more software on it.

    Vanguard, Aug 16, 2006
  17. Exactly. Erasing an entire hard disk isn't on discussion at all, as it's
    trivial. "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX", and one can do a similar thing
    on Windows as well (using dd.exe and a preallocated sparse file with 4
    Exabyte of zero content). Assuming a standard-conformant IDE controller
    setup, a self-written would do the job with less than 0.5 KByte of code,
    which fits into the boot sector and works without any operating system
    at all.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 16, 2006