    calls over sip and voip from other voip providers.

    A geographic number in the south of the UK would be a great advantage!

    Any suggestions? - TIA.

    Henry Hooray, Nov 10, 2006

  2. Henry Hooray

    Ian Pawson Guest

    I do just that with voip.co.uk, but there are others available.

    Ian Pawson, Nov 10, 2006

  3. Henry Hooray

    Phil Guest

    I'd recommend www.voip.co.uk have been with them for around 3 months and
    they have been 100% reliable, very good value and customer services is
    excellent. I am on their optional UK pack which is £19.99/year or
    £1.99/month and for this they give you free off peak calls of up to an hour
    and peak rate calls are 2p per call for up to an hour. I just hang up and
    redial before the hour is up to make sure I don't get charged after the hour
    is up. You get a free incoming geographic number for the area code of your
    choice.

    Phil, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Henry Hooray

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    I love it when people say "£1.99 a month for free calls" ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Henry Hooray

    Scope Guest

    Look at it as a monthly subscription fee if you want, not unlike mobiles
    where you have inclusive minutes. You dont really have to make many
    phone calls for it to become over £2 a month.

    I too have been with voip.co.uk for around 3-4 months and they have been
    great - in fact I dropped my NTL line altought and use voip.co.uk as my
    main incoming phone line.

    Scope, Nov 10, 2006
  6. Henry Hooray

    Phil Guest

    Not this again. I nearly put in a note f.a.o Ivor: I know there is a
    monthly/yearly charge. Yes you pay a charge but after that the call charges
    are as stated.
    Ivor just for future reference could you tell me how to word things
    regarding voip.co.uk's off peak charges so as not to get your back up
    because I'm not praising your beloved Sipgate.

    Phil, Nov 10, 2006
  7. Henry Hooray

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Ah yes, I remember in the early days we had Diamond Cable in this area.
    They advertised their 'free' calls to other users without mentioning
    their £10 per month line rental!

    Ian Pawson, Nov 10, 2006
  8. Henry Hooray

    Brian Guest

    Please consider continuing to word your posts exactly as you see fit and
    without having to look over your shoulder for a hobbyhorse bearing down
    on you. The one in reply to the OP was on topic for this group, accurate
    and very helpful.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Henry Hooray

    Ivor Jones Guest

    You won't get my back up for not praising Sipgate, despite what Dexter
    would have you believe.

    All I said was I find it funny when people say so much a month for "free"
    calls. They're not, they're inclusive, which is the word that should be
    used.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 11, 2006
  10. Henry Hooray

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    "Free for £x a month" is accurate..? This must be a new definition of the
    word accurate of which I am unaware, please enlighten me.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 11, 2006
  11. Henry Hooray

    Brian Guest

    The post accurately reflects the information at www.voip.co.uk.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 11, 2006
  12. Henry Hooray

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones explained on 11/11/2006 :
    Perhaps "inclusive for £x month" would be better?

    Jono, Nov 11, 2006
  13. Henry Hooray

    Brian A Guest

    I prefer £2/month for inclusive off peak geo UK calls.
    ....and, yes, I think voip.co.uk are good and reliable. They still
    haven't sorted out the anomalies to my account, due to the the
    software problem in March creating incorrect debits for calls , but
    its cool because they did put up £10 to keep the account floating -
    what'll happen at the 1 year 'anniversary', later this month, I have
    yet to see.
    Vyke.co.uk also appear to offer a good deal but the waters are
    uncharted as far as this group is concerned.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 11, 2006
  14. Henry Hooray

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Exactly, you are 100% correct. The use of the word "free" is misleading at
    best and deceptive at worst.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 11, 2006
  15. Henry Hooray

    Herman Guest

    <pedant>
    The calls are free. The standing charge is not.
    </pedant>
    But hey, that's just my opinion and others have theirs. Just so long as the
    OP finds the information, however it is expressed, helpful and understands
    the meaning I guess.

    Herman, Nov 11, 2006
  16. Henry Hooray

    Tim Guest

    Its not free. Its un-metered.

    But its not really un-metered because of the 1 hour thing.

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 14, 2006
  17. Henry Hooray

    Henry Hooray Guest

    Thanks everybody for their responses.

    I asked voip.co.uk about calling and receiving calls from other VOIP users,
    eg Sipgate, Vonage, VoipCheap etc etc, and got the following reply:

    "You can make and receive calls from all these providers - but via
    their 'phone numbers' as you would from 'BT' for example and not direct
    voip - voip."

    This would seem to mean that you cannot make (or receive) 'free' calls from
    other voips? That doesn't sound very impressive to me, if I've understood
    them correctly.

    Henry.

    PS On the subject of the concept of 'free', which seems to be hotly debated:
    how Sky can advertise Free Broadband - and simultaneously state that you
    need to pay for such and such a package, AND you have to pay a £40
    connection fee!

    Henry Hooray, Nov 14, 2006
  18. Henry Hooray

    Roger Guest

    if you have a sipura ATA you can put in a dial plan to use sipbroker to call
    voip users on other networks for free - you need to use their networks code
    but you can look this up on the sipbroker site. I do this (and calls
    starting 18 i.e. us toll free numbers go via fwd) - all other calls are sent
    via voip.co.uk

    Roger, Nov 14, 2006
  19. Henry Hooray

    Brian Guest

    I have heard that voip.co.uk describe the facility to phone a user on
    their network using as 'unsupported'. It might work
    or it might not. I'd take that to mean it won't work.

    Also, none of the three providers you mention accept a SIP URI from
    outside their networks, although Sipgate is reported to have a special
    arrangement with Gradwell and FWD.

    So, as you say, not very impressive. But that's what you get with closed
    networks. Inbound SIP-to-SIP calls are not blocked by all companies.
    Gradwell, voipfone and voiptalk are among the open networks.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 14, 2006
  20. Henry Hooray

    Brian Guest

    Sipbroker can assist you to connect to users on open networks. Sipgate,
    Vonage, VoipCheap and voip.co.uk are closed to incoming voip calls.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 14, 2006