    advantages/disadvantages of using OSPF?

    Thanks!
    SJ

    smokejo, Nov 21, 2006

  2. smokejo

    Merv Guest

    OSPF supports a concept known as areas that allow a network to scale
    quite well. EIGRP does not supports areas

    For your size of network EIGRP will be fine and is very easily to
    configure and troubleshoot.

    Since your network will be hub and spoke, I would suggest you make use
    of the EIGRP stub feature - see

    http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/iprout/showcase?case=K17020846

    Merv, Nov 21, 2006

  3. smokejo

    smokejo Guest

    Thanks...we are going for a hub and spoke system because leased lines
    between all sites would be too expensive, and there is also no direct
    need for a site to have a direct connection with another site, although
    this also means that if their leased line goes down, they are
    communicationless.

    Are there ways around this?

    smokejo, Nov 21, 2006

  4. For 12 sites doing hub-and-spoke, I'd still be doing static routing.
    I don't see much need for a dynamic routing protocol in this network
    configuration unless you feel like learning one.

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 21, 2006
  5. smokejo

    Brian V Guest

    I'd keep the VPN's up as backup and use statics/costed statics as Doug
    recomended. No need for a protocol, simple enough network.

    Brian V, Nov 21, 2006
  6. smokejo

    smokejo Guest

    Thanks for the replies...we did consider static routing, but the
    company (and therefore network) is expected to grow rapidly in the
    future, so we wanted whatever solution we implemented to be scaleable.
    What we do know is that the routers we use will always be Cisco,
    therefore it was a toss up between EIGRP and OSPF.

    I think we'll go for EIGRP...thanks again.

    SJ

    smokejo, Nov 21, 2006