    analyzer to see each protocol flowing through each port of a Cisco LAN
    Switch, or a Router, any recommendation ?

    Thank you

    Benson, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Benson

    Mirko Kulpa Guest

    Take a look at ethereal.

    <http://www.ethereal.com/>

    Mirko

    Mirko Kulpa, Aug 28, 2004

  3. I'll second that - Ethereal is a very nice packet sniffer and the price is
    right (free). Once you get Ethereal, look into setting up SPAN on your
    switch.

    Cletus

    Cletus Van Damme, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Benson

    Benson Guest

    Thank you very much for your replies;

    As I know Ethereal is a monitoring tool used in Linux or Unix OS. Can
    it be used int Router or Switch, or network ?

    Span is the used to copy the traffic of each port to a specific port,
    so that we can collect the total traffic of a switch or a router. Can
    I use it for each port ?

    I am using the MRTG for monitoring the port traffic of Routers and
    Switches, but I can not analyse the protocol and Layer 4 port in each
    port ( layer 2 ) of the Cisco Router and Switch, what should I do ?

    Thank you
    Benson

    Benson, Aug 30, 2004
  5. It's also available for Windows. You can't run it on the router or
    switch; Cisco doesn't provide any way to load user programs.
    Yes. Connect the analyzer to the SPAN port, and it will be able to
    capture the traffic and display it.
    MRTG just uses SNMP to get traffic statistics from the router/switch.

    Barry Margolin, Aug 30, 2004
  6. |In article <>,
    | (Benson) wrote:
    |> As I know Ethereal is a monitoring tool used in Linux or Unix OS.

    |It's also available for Windows. You can't run it on the router or
    |switch; Cisco doesn't provide any way to load user programs.

    Wot? No-one re-written it into TCL yet to run on a GSR?? ;-)

    The topic reminds me that I have heard of some people doing open
    source IOS-equivilent, so someone must have figured out how to get
    user binaries to load. And I seem to recall that if you use the right
    'show' incantation (something in the neighbourhood of 'show process')
    that you even get the code entry points of the various routines. All
    of which suggests that you *might* be able to put together a loader
    to load user code, then load regular IOS, then through -some- mechanism
    get back control long ehough to patch IOS. This is speculation and
    extrapolation on my part, and even just -thinking- about it probably
    voids my warranty ;-)

    Walter Roberson, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Benson

    AnyBody43 Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote
    http://www.mcvax.org/~koen/uClinux-cisco2500/platforms.html
    Says it runs on 3000, 2500, 4000 (all 68000 based).
    Note for those newish to Cisco, these are all now obsolete
    except maybe for the 2500, I can't be bothered to look.

    For brain pain, see:-
    http://www.mcvax.org/~koen/uClinux-cisco2500/exotica.html
    Hurts my head anyway.

    AnyBody43, Aug 31, 2004