WHICH Printer? Not excited about the Epson 7500

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sbtypesetter, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Sbtypesetter

    Sbtypesetter Guest

    The criteria is:

    *Less than $3 sq. ft for prints.
    *Long print life. 25 years just won't cut it.
    *Compatable w/ aftermarket inks and papers
    *Canvas prints
    *Image quality rivals print film & photo paper
    *Need 12" minimum width
    *prefer less than $10,000
    *total reliability

    Maybe I'm dreaming.

    The Epson 7500 sounds nice, but too many gremlins for my taste.


    Sbtypesetter, Sep 11, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Sbtypesetter

    Bob Hatch Guest

    Epson 7600 with UltraChrome inks. Print costs will run about $1.10 per sq
    foot, but I for one would *not* use anything but Epson inks in the printer.
    Bob Hatch, Sep 11, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Sbtypesetter

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: (Sbtypesetter)
    The Epson 7600 sells for about $3,000 and prints 24" wide. This printer (and
    it's larger sibling the 9600) is extremely popular with professional
    photographers. Meets/exceeds all your criteria except possibly the
    "aftermarket inks" ... works fine with quality non-Epson papers if you can
    generate a proper ICM profile. For a lot of detailed info

    It's much better than the Epson 7500 you mentioned.

    The Epson 2200 sells for around $650 and prints 13" wide. It's a
    consumer-grade printer instead of a professional grade (Epson's definition) but
    uses the same inks as the 7600 and the prints are excellent. It meets all your
    requirements except the "aftermarket inks" and maybe the "Canvas prints",
    though I just saw a blurb about a new canvas 'paper' for the 2200 so maybe that
    will work out too.

    http://www.inkjetart.com/canvas/fast-dry-gloss.html for the canvas link

    Bill Hilton, Sep 12, 2003
  4. Sbtypesetter

    Dierk Haasis Guest

    Actually there are a few more on the market, IIRC, Ilford has one out
    and Tetenal surely has (looks quite good printed), Hahnemühle and
    Römerturm also provide some Canvas and structured Fine Art papers (I
    don't know which US firm sells them under which names, but I know that
    you can get them in the US).
    Dierk Haasis, Sep 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.