    fhg Guest

    is there a clear winner that is considered "the standard" by pc techs
    internationally ?

    fhg, Jan 30, 2004

  2. fhg

    Ghost Guest

    Save your money... for the most part, I do not use mine... in fact, very
    rarely do i even look at it...

    Ghost, Jan 31, 2004

  3. fhg

    fhg Guest

    so it doesn't it tell you any more than a good diagnostic program like Aida
    ?

    fhg, Jan 31, 2004
  4. fhg

    RussS Guest

    Touche

    Post cards are great ... for taking up room on a shelf somewhere ;-)

    RussS, Jan 31, 2004
  5. fhg

    fhg Guest

    now that you guys have convinced me that they are worthless - do you wish to
    name a price, I may be able to take it off your shelf for you :)
    you can if you wish email me directly at fh[dot]gross[at]sympatico[dot]com

    fhg, Jan 31, 2004
  6. fhg

    Ghost Guest

    Not even as....

    A POST card only reports the two digit code it is reading from the BIOS.
    As the computer starts up, it goes through a sequence of events checking
    this and that. For each process or check it sends a two digit code which
    the POST card displays.

    If the computer passes POST, then it starts up and the POST card has no
    value because it has already started the computer, which you would already
    know.

    If the computer does not pass POST, then the POST card displays the last
    code it is stuck on which you have to look up. Generally, the code does
    not really tell you anything useful. Unless the code indicates RAM or
    CPU, then there is really nothing you can do anyway.

    About the only use I have for my POST card is to see if the problem is the
    CPU or the motherboad failure. Most times I do not really care because if
    one goes, I generally replace both anyway since there is no sense in
    trying to track down a good PIII 500MHz chip to fit on a 3 year old
    motherboard.

    Ghost, Jan 31, 2004
  7. fhg

    fhg Guest

    oops! my mind was elsewhere - the email address ends in .ca NOT .com

    fhg, Feb 1, 2004