Which multi-function printer is the best?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Abhijit, Sep 8, 2007.

  1. Abhijit

    Abhijit Guest

    I am looking to buy a printer-scanner-copier, but the more research I
    do, the more confusing the choices get.

    My requirements
    * Decent prints, color not critical
    * Not more than 5-10 prints a day, so the cartridge/toner should not
    go limp if it weren't being used constantly.
    * Network readiness would be welcome but again, not critical

    I'm convinced that a laser printer would be a good choice (though I
    could be persuaded to the contrary). In fact, I'd almost settled on
    the Samsung SCX-4200, but a bunch of reviews on the web tell me that
    its warm-up time tops 30 seconds. My printing would be intermittent at
    best, and I have no desire to stare at the freak making strange noises
    for half a minute before coughing out a print. I can understand 10-15
    seconds, but 30+ seems criminal for a laser printer!

    I love the HP LaserJet 1022n I have at work, but sadly, it can't do
    anything else except print.

    My question is, is there a better option than the Samsung SCX-4200 for
    what I've stated to need? I'd put my budget at $225-250.

    Abhijit, Sep 8, 2007

  2. Abhijit

    Jack Pott Guest

    Been pretty happy with the Canon MF4150-- a B+W laser w/ print, scan, copy,
    fax with auto document feeder. Got it on sale for $200. The ADF is a really
    nice feature. I didn't give it a thought when I bought it but I use it all
    the time now-- even for single copy/scans because you don't have to pick the
    lid up and precisely place the original.

    Only gripe (and most mfrs do it to you these days) is the starter toner
    cartridge is only good for 1000 copies. Also, the full cartridge is specked
    for 2000 copies.

    My last printer used a 3000 copy cart-- which is the same price as the
    curent crop of 2000 copy ones.

    Guess the printer mfrs are sticking it to us. But I buy toner refills and
    can refill the cart 3-4 times before print quality starts to head south....

    Jack Pott, Sep 8, 2007

  3. Abhijit

    Abhijit Guest

    Yeah, I've been wondering about these "starter" cartridges/toners
    myself! Friggin' thieves.

    Talking of the Canon MF4150, what kind of warm up time does it have?
    How long does it take to give the first print out of the cold?

    Abhijit, Sep 8, 2007
  4. Abhijit

    Jack Pott Guest

    It pretty much instant-on and spits the first one out right quick in any
    mode. I don't know that I ever timed it but the printer sits on a table 7-8
    feet from my desk chair and if I hit PRINT, the first one is in the tray by
    the time I get up and walk over there. I'd think the exact time would be on
    the Canon website. Also, PC Magazine rated this class of multifunction
    printer recently and the specs are probably there too. As I recall, they
    rated the 4150 pretty highly too.

    Jack Pott, Sep 8, 2007
  5. Everything I read about Canon products is they refuse to issue Linux
    drivers for them ... so when you are ready to advance, you are pretty
    much screwed with that Canon printer. Folks in the know usually
    recommend HP printers. See various comments in alt.os.linux.ubuntu for
    example.

    I'm still using a 17-year-old NEC Model 95...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 8, 2007
  6. Abhijit

    Ron Martell Guest

    In this category my choice would be for the Brother MFC7820N because
    of the full functionality (network ready and fax from PC are two
    features that are often not found on other multifunctions).

    This unit has the same laser engine as the Brother HL2030 and HL2040
    laser printers, and these have been very good products in my
    experience.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Sep 8, 2007
  7. Abhijit

    Jack Pott Guest

    On the day I'm ready to switch to Linux, that Canon will be worth much more
    as a collectible antique than as a working printer. So I'll just sell it,
    use part of the proceeds to buy an HP and go on vacation with the rest. But
    thanks for your perspective...

    Jack Pott, Sep 8, 2007
  8. Abhijit

    Abhijit Guest

    I don't suppose the proceeds from a Canon would go a long way towards
    buying a decent HP, but the contention is interesting.

    No Linux, then out with Canon. What about HP printers? I checked liked
    one C6188, supposedly faster than most laser printers. Have you guys
    any idea of its performance?

    Abhijit, Sep 11, 2007