    Any thoughts?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Troggles Guest

    You know, and I wont be popular for saying this, but I have no problems
    with xtra. Kinda goes against the grain around here, but if you just
    want it to work......

    they sent the pack, the modem, ran the disk and all hooked up. No sweat.

    c u

    Troggles, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Brett Guest

    I say Slingshot, but I'm not a IT pro.

    Don't get the free modem, as that locks you into that isp for 12 months
    or $100.

    That's why it's a $100 fee modem, when you can buy them on trademe for
    $15.

    Brett, Apr 28, 2006
  4. And now you'll need to use some other ISP to continue to have access to
    Usenet.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    kriskirk Guest

    Or use something like Google Groups. I used to use Forte Agent years
    ago, but I'm pretty happy with GG (I only read a few newsgroups
    though). What's the main advantage of using a news server? Is it just
    easier to read everything with a separate news reader?

    Kris

    kriskirk, Apr 28, 2006
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Matty F Guest

    I have my newsreader set to instantly show new messages by
    thread. I can mark messages to refer to later. I can instantly
    sort by name or date or subject. I can mark threads and posters
    to ignore. I don't have to use an email address that attracts a
    huge amount of spam as soon as I make one post.
    With a newsreader like Agent it's possible to download all new
    posts and then go offline and read and type replies. That's
    useful for those who can't afford to be online for long, or who
    need to keep their phone line clear.

    Matty F, Apr 28, 2006
  7. Much easier; Much faster; Much better; features for reading and responding
    to other people's plain text messages using an NNTP client than viewing
    HTML pages in a web browser.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 28, 2006