    Ian Daley Guest

    the people from rec.photo.digital will probably give you the most unbiased
    answer.

    Ian Daley, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Rugby is superior in all aspects. This is a known fact. It has even
    been written down in some places (not by the players, though).

    Plus rugby players don't put dark goth lipstick on their cheeks and
    don't play with scooter crash helmets on their heads.
    Although some known fruit cakes in the game have of late begun to wear
    little glovies and wings have started padding their shoulders to look
    good for the crumpets on the pavilion.

    And so on.

    Ferdi Greyling, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Played both, Rugby by alot.

    Moose

    Gregory Nazarko, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Ian Daley

    Fred Guest

    Emily Burkenstock wrote:

    Rugby is for men: no helmets, no armours, continous and flowing game and
    some good honest and fair-play violence

    the other one (won't mention it) is for poofs: helmets, armoured bodies,
    game stopped every 20 seconds, doping, several refs, 1 team for defence,
    one for attack one for kicking....and the ball can be passed forward with
    the hands!!!!!!!!! sissies

    Fred, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Ian Daley

    Nigel Evans Guest

    Some have taken their clothes off and gone off to the swamp. Rugby is
    turning into a sport for gays only.

    Nigel Evans, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Ian Daley

    ~#Bluebird#~ Guest

    we're getting backs wearing scrumcaps though, and they are getting more and
    more padded by the year
    plenty of padding, and again, this seems to be getting more and more bulky.

    ~#Bluebird#~, Mar 1, 2004
  7. Ian Daley

    Rick Guest

    Well, lets see here:

    Padding: US Football lots of padding Rugby little or no padding
    Tackling: US Football one tackle and eveything stops, take a 30second or 3
    minute commercial break, play again. Rugby you get tackled you have to
    release the ball and it starts all over again, no breaks and tackle after
    tackle after tackle in a good game.

    Rugby is a much more interesting game, though the rules are a bit more arcane
    then US Football.

    Rick

    Rick, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Ian Daley

    Carl Banks Guest

    Rick,

    You got it backwards. And you're newsreaders broken.

    --
    CARL BANKS http://www.aerojockey.com

    "If you believe in yourself, drink your school, stay on drugs, and
    don't do milk, you can get work."
    -- Parody of Mr. T from a Robert Smigel Cartoon

    Carl Banks, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Ian Daley

    rick boyd Guest

    Thanks for the local commentary Nigel. We are always interested in the
    state of the game in Wales.

    -- rick boyd

    rick boyd, Mar 1, 2004
  10. You're saying that US football players *don't* wear lots of padding? US
    football *doesn't* have lots of breaks?

    You seem to be confused.

    Peter Ashford, Mar 1, 2004
  11. [Peter Ashford ()]
    [Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:56:21 +1300]

    :Carl Banks wrote:
    :
    :> Rick,
    :> exactly what drugs were you under the influence of when you wrote:
    :>
    :>>Well, lets see here:
    :>>
    :>>Padding: US Football lots of padding Rugby little or no padding
    :>>Tackling: US Football one tackle and eveything stops, take a 30second or 3
    :>>minute commercial break, play again. Rugby you get tackled you have to
    :>>release the ball and it starts all over again, no breaks and tackle after
    :>>tackle after tackle in a good game.
    :>>
    :>>Rugby is a much more interesting game, though the rules are a bit
    :>>more arcane then US Football.
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :> You got it backwards. And you're newsreaders broken.
    :
    :You're saying that US football players *don't* wear lots of padding? US
    :football *doesn't* have lots of breaks?
    :
    :You seem to be confused.

    What do you think would happen to a rugby player were he to be hit by,
    hmm oh I don't know, let's say Ray Lewis, for example?

    (Lewis: 6'1", 245 pounds of mostly muscle, incredibly fast for a guy his
    size.)

    Answer: whoever he hit would be carried off the field, that's what.

    Bryan S. Slick, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Ian Daley

    BrentC Guest

    Ahhh - asslick - 245lbs = a short and light Jona Lomu

    I will be more impressed when there are no stoppages in US Foolsball
    and no defensive or offensive teams - like it used to be years ago.

    However, we do like the Cheer Leaders :)

    **************

    BrentC

    BrentC, Mar 1, 2004
  13. [BrentC ()]
    [Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:41:39 +1300]

    :>:You're saying that US football players *don't* wear lots of padding? US
    :>:football *doesn't* have lots of breaks?
    :>:
    :>:You seem to be confused.
    :>
    :>What do you think would happen to a rugby player were he to be hit by,
    :>hmm oh I don't know, let's say Ray Lewis, for example?
    :>
    :>(Lewis: 6'1", 245 pounds of mostly muscle, incredibly fast for a guy his
    :>size.)
    :>
    :>Answer: whoever he hit would be carried off the field, that's what.
    :
    :
    :Ahhh - asslick - 245lbs = a short and light Jona Lomu
    :
    :I will be more impressed when there are no stoppages in US Foolsball
    :and no defensive or offensive teams - like it used to be years ago.
    :
    :However, we do like the Cheer Leaders :)

    There are very few people in the NFL that wouldn't hospitalize rugby
    players with regularity, were they to play.

    Bryan S. Slick, Mar 1, 2004
  14. On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:15:12 -0500, Bryan S. Slick

    [...]
    Without his armour? If the rugby player were Trevor Leota or Jerry
    Collins? I'd say Ray Lewis would end up with a broken back. Anybody
    else would just probably stop him in his tracks.
    He's a shrimp compared to Jonah Lomu. And rugby players don't just
    block, or play pat-a-cakes, or "interfere". They use their arms and
    knock people down. Eventually, they figured out how to stop Lomu.
    Lewis would not be much of a challenge.
    Unlikely. More likely he'd be carried off whimpering like a girl,
    broken and shamed. And your delusions would be carried off with him.

    Greig Blanchett, Mar 2, 2004
  15. :>
    Riiiight... so a guy who is shorter and lighter than Lomu would destroy
    all rugby players, eh?

    Wakey wakey, Rugby players already have to contend with bigger players
    than Lewis.

    ....don't let any facts smack you on your ass on the way out eh?

    Peter Ashford, Mar 2, 2004
  16. Ian Daley

    gmuldoon Guest

    says...
    I presume you mean by their tackling.

    Not without breaking the laws of the game (read up about the
    requirements for a legal rugby tackle, use of the arm, etc.). Not
    without their padding (they'd be more likely to hospitalise themselves
    with head/neack/shoulder injuries). Not when they couldn't catch anyone
    (when their aerobic fitness deficiencies after several minutes of
    continuous play got exposed).

    And I guess you're excluding all your kickers and most of your special-
    teamers and quarterbacks from your statement.

    Geoff M

    gmuldoon, Mar 2, 2004
  17. Ian Daley

    BrentC Guest

    And if they did that on a regular basis - one would have to assume
    that they would be liable for a private assault prosecution and a
    subsequent payout of large amounts of dosh.

    **************

    BrentC

    BrentC, Mar 2, 2004
  18. I've played both as well, and I'll give the nod to rugby, but in a
    close one... I've been hit MUCH harder in football, but scrums get far
    nastier than the LOS in football...

    Andrew Murawa, Mar 2, 2004
  19. Ian Daley

    Bobs Guest

    That isn't even very big. Just in the local team I support their is Kees
    Meeus = 260lbs/6'1", Bradley Mika = 270lbs/about 6'5", John Afoa
    275lbs/6'2".

    They don't tackle any harder than the smaller guys. For example, one of
    the hardest hitters in the team (if not the hardest) is the pocket
    rocket Sam Tuitopu at a small 190lbs/5'9". He is a much better defender
    than huge people like Jonah Lomu for example. Big guys can get run around.

    Bobs, Mar 2, 2004
  20. Ian Daley

    JD Guest

    If they were to sit on them? Or is that with the aid of 50lbs of "protection".

    JD, Mar 2, 2004