    websites disagree. I found a intellimouse on the microsoft site that
    works with vista, but they do not mention the exact model. How do I
    find out for sure? thanks.

    lbbss, Apr 16, 2009

  2. lbbss

    Dan C Guest

    Ask your mommy.

    Dan C, Apr 16, 2009

  3. lbbss

    why? Guest

    For MS hardware, same URL as yesterday :)
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/default.mspx
    Microsoft Hardware Mouse and Keyboard Home Page
    Ah, at least the URL worked..... which one did you find? Several display
    the Vista logo on the overview features tab.
    Intellimouse Explorer and Optical say Vista.
    Can't see the new ones not being Vista compatable. I have an MS
    Intellimouse Optical USB & PS/2
    P/N X05-92654 & Product ID 52195-576-1163523-10000 it's about 4+ years
    old and Works From NT4-Vista. Never installed the intellisoftware they
    may be Win2000-Vista only.

    Me

    why?, Apr 16, 2009
  4. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    Does it have a ball underneath?

    There are three ways a mouse fails to work properly. Now, this is *aside*
    from any MS Windows problems. (short of someone stealing the ball or the
    ring to hold it in).

    1. The wires in the cord break.
    2. The buttons fail. Usually by appearing to be permanently depressed.
    3. The rollers that the mouse rolls against get covered in gunk.

    Naturally the first two require the mouse to be replaced. However the
    first and third are virtually indistinguishable from each other unless
    there is *absolutely* nothing on any of the rollers or ball.Have you
    cleaned the rollers for this ball? (you'll have to remove the ball to do
    this). Do *not* use anything sharp or metal to do this or clean the
    rollers.

    Not to say your house isn't clean, but after months and years of use,
    hair, skin, dust, etc. form a rubbery covering on the rollers as they are
    tracked onto these rollers by the ball. Do *not* use any water or soap
    when you do this.

    chuckcar, Apr 16, 2009
  5. lbbss

    Evan Platt Guest

    Hey chucko, the last intellimouse with a ball was a PS/2 mouse.
    LOL... Only three huh?

    Evan Platt, Apr 16, 2009
  6. <cough> What do you recommend? Cardboard?

    I've cleaned many a mechanical mouse's rollers using an X-Acto knife,
    essentially a razor-blade-on-a-stick. Perhaps you have a palsy or
    something and can't use one. There's one here in my pencil cup, looks
    exactly like the one shown here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Acto

    The smallest, sharpest blade on my Swiss Army Knife works, too.

    Some minor skill is involved.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 16, 2009
  7. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Sure my old one does work with xp, but the problem is the pointer
    speed is limited. The speed is set to max, which is not nearly
    enough. So I have to move the mouse a couple of strokes to get
    across the screen. With a regular mouse I can go from one side to
    the other with just one stroke. Some mice have also an acceleration
    setting, this software does not have that setting. So besides this
    annoying problem the mouse works fine on xp, and vista. When I had a
    CRT monitor it was a problem, since I had my monitor at a lower
    resolution. But on the LCD I have to keep it at a high resolution
    (native resolution I think they call it).

    lbbss, Apr 17, 2009
  8. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    Fingernail. As I've stated before.
    Then you'll scratch/nick/cut the rollers making things worse. Unavoidable.

    chuckcar, Apr 17, 2009
  9. You have skinny fingers?
    Well, then I can only surmise you don't know how to use an X-Acto knife.
    I've never scratched or damaged a roller with one.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 17, 2009
  10. lbbss

    XS11E Guest

    Which intellimouse? Look at the bottom of the mouse, it's labelled
    there.

    XS11E, Apr 17, 2009
  11. lbbss

    Evan Platt Guest

    I think it's best chucktard not use any sharp objects considering....
    he's far from a sharp object full stop.

    Evan Platt, Apr 17, 2009
  12. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    Doesn't matter if you take out the ball. Can't do it otherwise anyways. There's
    a bigger than 1" diameter wide hole for the ball. Fat fingers?

    I *know* what an X-Acto knife is. LOL.
    I doubt you've ever cleaned a mouse.

    chuckcar, Apr 17, 2009
  13. lbbss

    Evan Platt Guest

    Good. Can I give you some suggestions on what to do with one?

    Evan Platt, Apr 17, 2009
  14. You wrote that like you think I've never seen the inside of a mouse.
    You wrote that like you think I've never seen the inside of a mouse, or
    that you think I have no skills with a blade.

    I could demonstrate by shaving the hairs off your scro.. oh, on second
    thought, I really wouldn't want to do that.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 17, 2009
  15. The knife is especially helpful if there is a cat in the house. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 18, 2009
  16. lbbss

    Pennywise Guest

    I've done the same thing, I've always called them exacto knifes tho

    I used to build 2 meter balsa wood gliders and always had a set of
    exacto knife's handy.

    Why in the world Chucktard would think someone would use a knife on
    the ball is beyond me.

    But my favorite tool, I mean I use this for everything, is a 5.5 Inch
    Kelly Curved hemostat. http://tinyurl.com/c5muw8

    Pennywise, Apr 18, 2009
  17. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    What the H are you talking about? I'm the one who said not to use
    *anything* sharp at *all*.

    chuckcar, Apr 18, 2009
  18. lbbss

    Evan Platt Guest

    You seriously have no clue do you?

    Evan Platt, Apr 19, 2009
  19. lbbss

    Evan Platt Guest

    He's not the sharpest tool in the toolshed.

    Evan Platt, Apr 19, 2009