Which is the better camera, the Canon s410 or the A85?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeff Ingram, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Hey,

    Which is the better camera? The Canon s410 or an A85? Both are 4.0
    megapixles, the A85 takes AA batteries, but the s410 has a proprietary
    rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. I've no problem with the idea of a
    proprietary battery since that's what my current Canon s30 uses. And I've
    got plenty of AA NiMH batteries too. So I can go either way as far as
    that's concerned.

    The specs are pretty similar, but I did notice that the manual of the s410
    makes no mention of
    being able to set the aperture. I did a find on the word "aperture" in the
    manual (in Acrobat format) nowhere does that word appear but, it does appear
    in the A85 manual. It's also a feature of my current s30.

    I'm not sure which one to go with.......I need some opinions!

    Thanks for the help!

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Jeff Ingram

    teflon Guest

    Get the one with aperture control if you think you need it in your
    photography.

    teflon, Nov 30, 2004

  3. You should be comparing to the A80, not the A85. The A80 has the same
    1/1.8" CCD as the S410. The A85, despite its name, is *not* the
    successor to the A80, it replaces the A75. And the A85 has a smaller
    CCD with higher noise than the A80 or S410.
    That's one major difference. The S410 has a "manual" mode that is
    equivalent to "P" mode on the A80 - fully auto exposure. The S410 does
    not have any equivalent of the M, Av, or Tv modes on the A80, which
    provide manual control of aperture, shutter speed, or both. In fact,
    the S410 doesn't even tell you what aperture or shutter speed it's going
    to use.

    My own mental model: the A80 is the camera to take if you expect to be
    shooting photos, and want the extra creative control. (The flip-out LCD
    is also very useful). The S410 is the camera to take if you do not
    expect to be taking photos, but want one along just in case and small
    size and light weight are important.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    But Canon stopped making the A80 so finding a new one is a little more
    difficult.

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Dec 2, 2004