    reader?

    I suspect the reader will be much faster, but what is the real life
    experience out there?

    Alan F Cross, Jul 14, 2003

  2. My *tests* with a Lexar 2Gb 40x card show that the Jumpshot USB
    "reader" has a transfer rate of 775kb/sec. My cheapo PNY USB 1.1
    reader manages 932kb/sec with the same card. I don't have USB 2.0 but
    I do have Firewire and my Addonics Firewire Mini Digidrive reads at
    5898kb/sec or 7.6x the Jumpshot.

    You might want to review this review of card readers.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6191-6217

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 14, 2003

  3. My 2Gb 40X did.

    All the "Professional" series are provided with the Jumpshot USB
    reader as far as I can tell.

    http://store.digitalfilm.com/index.cfm?category=8

    "Includes free JumpShot cable" (and Image Rescue BTW)
    1Gb CF Pro Series 32x WA
    256Mb CF Pro Series 40x WA
    512Mb CF Pro Series 40x WA
    2Gb CF Pro Series 40x WA

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Alan F Cross

    Pat Chaney Guest

    In the US maybe, but not here in the UK - at least mine wasn't. The box
    contained a card that referenced an URL from where the free JumpShot cable
    could be ordered (which annoyingly doesn't work outside the US anyway).

    I only mentioned this because I happen to know that Alan (who I was replying
    to) is also in the UK.

    Pat

    Pat Chaney, Jul 15, 2003
  5. I assume you mean that the URL doesn't work outside the US, not the
    Jumpshot (a standard USB device). Have you asked Lexar about it? Their
    Image Rescue software only works with the Jumpshot reader so if you
    bought a "Pro" card I'd make a fuss about it.

    I can only think that their Jumpshot lacks patent protection in the UK
    or infringes someones UK patent. Strange stuff like that happens
    sometimes. I read that the Canon A2-E lacked the manual mode LED
    bargraph available in the international EOS 5 version because it
    infringed a US patent at the time. This no longer seems to be an issue
    because my D60 has it (as does my A2 after it was EOS 5'ed--a firmware
    update--by Horizon Electronis in California).

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 15, 2003