  1. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Someone told me KDE has better rpm support

    Lucas Tam, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Lucas Tam

    John Bailo Guest

    Did someone tell you about the low cost swamp land in Florida ?

    John Bailo, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Lucas Tam

    Jubei Guest

    It largely depends on preference. There is a plethora of apps
    designed for both. Gnome has been around a little longer, KDE seems
    to have a faster development cycle. More distributions tend to
    support KDE than Gnome these days, many support both. Its simply a
    matter of taste.

    I personally prefer KDE.

    Jubei, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Somewas was very confused then.

    Mattias Honrendgard, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Lucas Tam

    SHIBU Guest

    PLEASE do note that "kde" requires more memory than gnome so gnome is
    better in that respect ,both of them has advantages and disadvantages.

    if you have more memory it not a problem to use kde.

    it is up to you to decide.

    shibu.

    SHIBU, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Lucas Tam sighed and said:
    Seems that KDE has a whole load of things. GNOME (since 2.0) has pared
    down the number of apps it includes by default, I think to make sure that
    what it does include works well.

    Personally, I prefer GNOME... I'll always pick a GNOME app over a KDE one.
    But that's just me.

    --
    Ian

    I fought Windows from 95 to 2000.
    It beat me every time.
    That's why I use Linux.

    The Onion Man, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Lucas Tam

    hiwa Guest

    Yeah. I was told about the land on the moon, $299 for an acre.

    hiwa, Apr 13, 2004
  8. Lucas Tam

    ray Guest

    I would suggest that you try them for yourself. I have always had the
    feeling that KDE was "better" or "more complete" and that Gnome was
    "lighter". I tend to use KDE on systems with sufficient horsepower and
    Gnome on slower equipment. I do, however, use GTK for software development
    (unless I use X/Motif). XFCE is also worth exploring - IMHO.

    ray, Apr 13, 2004
  9. Lucas Tam

    Igor Jagec Guest

    (Lucas Tam) ka┬że:
    Bull Shit.

    Red Hat has made that system and they deliver their products with
    GNOME by default. They also have made investments on GNOME project as
    far as I know, and GNOME official web pages are hosted under Red Hat.

    I'm in minority with prefering GNOME under KDE, but I use some KDE
    software (k3b, kppp, ksnapshot). I like Fluxbox and Wmaker also, and
    xfce4 is also very nice.

    You can have'em both on your machine and you'll see which one of these
    best suits your needs. Just try'em both, there is nothing you can
    loose ;)

    Igor Jagec, Apr 13, 2004
  10. In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Lucas Tam
    <>
    wrote
    This is like mixing apples and giraffes. RPM is a *text* utility and
    a file type (basically, an archive for installing software); however,
    graphical managers for RPM do exist -- e.g., gnorpm. I don't know
    what KDE has for handling RPMs.

    The Ghost In The Machine, Apr 13, 2004
  11. Lucas Tam

    Simon L Guest

    For the RPMs under KDE, there is kpackage

    Simon L, Apr 13, 2004
  12. Lucas Tam

    Two Ravens Guest

    Have you investigated this statement in order to establish the veracity
    of your informant?

    Secondly, why did you need to know?

    Two Ravens, Apr 13, 2004
  13. *XFce*

    http://xfce.org

    :)

    Flood of Sins, Apr 13, 2004
  14. Lucas Tam

    mjt Guest

    ..... troll
    ..

    mjt, Apr 14, 2004
  15. ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.]
    Error BR-549: MS DRM 1.0 rejects the following post from ray:
    I like to load most Gnome stuff, and run it under fluxbox, icewm, or xfce.
    Currently using xfce a lot.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lin=F8nut?=, Apr 14, 2004
  16. Lucas Tam

    DM Guest

    Plug in a Kodak digicam to either and they will both blow up on your
    face. Maybe that will keep you out of the photography NG's.

    DM, Apr 14, 2004
  17. In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Simon L
    <>
    wrote
    There are times when the Linux naming conventions *do* make sense. :)

    The Ghost In The Machine, Apr 20, 2004