    My question is, which is the better JPEG comment ("comment" or "IPTC
    info") for software compatibility and long-term archival purposes?

    Vanessa C. Stancinni

    Vanessa, May 29, 2005

  2. Vanessa

    Mike Mills Guest

    Although the jpeg "comment" feature of irfanview works well
    and I use it extensively, I also write descript.ion files
    known to users of 4dos. This is an invisible text file which
    can hold the information which you may be afraid of losing.
    It is a backup for me.

    Xnview up to the most recent version handled this very well
    allowing you to make identical comments in the file view part
    of the xnview interface.
    Ctrl-a to mark all, Ctrl-d to describe all.

    As a further wrinkle, you can use several command line tools which
    will make the job much easier.

    Although this is not what you asked for specifically, you may
    have an interest in chasing down jhead or file or pich, or listpics
    which I also use for modifying the iptc, comment, or for creating
    html lists of directories . All the files mentioned are
    commandline from this paragraph.

    Mike Mills, May 30, 2005

  3. In any case IPTC is more promising. IPTC is also possible for TIF files
    and some others. It is worldwide used in press communication and lots of
    programs can read it or build up catologues from it. My bet for the next
    30 years is IPTC.

    AFH

    A.F. Hobbacher, May 30, 2005
  4. Vanessa

    Marvin Guest

    For archival purposes, you could attach a text box just below the photo, and save the
    comment as part of the file. The text can be easily cropped off when a print is made.

    Marvin, May 30, 2005