    I'm looking at buying the Canon 300D (6mp CMOS), but is the senosr just a
    cheap version of a 6mp CCD.

    PeterH

    PeterH, Jan 1, 2004

  2. PeterH

    Phil Guest

    Canon CMOS sensors are excellent. Used in the 10D, too.

    Not a "cheap version of a ... CCD".

    Phil

    Phil, Jan 1, 2004

  3. PeterH

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Canon has developed CMOS to the point you can't really tell the difference in
    the final image. CMOS costs less and has some advantages.. 1/5 the power
    power consumption is one.

    Read about it here:

    Jim Townsend, Jan 1, 2004
  4. PeterH

    Samuel Paik Guest

    It really depends on the particular sensor. There isn't an inherently
    superior class of technologies here. Until about a decade ago, CCDs
    dominated, but active pixel sensors ("CMOS") improved to the point of
    competitiveness. Canon has developed a line of APS imagers which have
    been very competitive for the D30, D60, 10D, and 300D cameras.

    Samuel Paik, Jan 1, 2004
  5. PeterH

    Andrew Guest

    They say that CMOS sensors aren't quite as good at showing subtle differences
    within highlights as CCD sensors. I've noticed my G2 and G3 are very good at
    this. The 1D is supposed to better in this regard than the 1Ds.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jan 1, 2004
  6. PeterH

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 03:46:49 GMT, "PeterH" <reply to
    Not a simple question. In principle, the CCD has the highest
    performance in low light conditions, but is maybe more difficult to
    make in large formats. CMOS allows processing at each pixel.

    I would look at overall camera performance.
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Jan 1, 2004
  7. PeterH