    router struggled with reliable connections to the TV. It was only a b/g
    router whereas now the TV can connect using wireless 'n' with the new
    router.

    chris, Feb 22, 2015

  2. chris

    Andy Burns Guest

    5GHz is usually better.

    + more usable bandwidth per MHz

    + you can use 40MHz wide channels for higher bandwidth.

    + it doesn't travel so far, or as well through obstacles
    so is less likely to get trampled by neighbours using
    same channels.

    - if you have lots of internal walls it might struggle
    compared to 2.4GHz

    Andy Burns, Feb 22, 2015

  3. chris

    Woody Guest

    and fewer people use it so significantly less chance of interference.

    Woody, Feb 22, 2015
  4. chris

    notyalckram Guest

    True - close to the router 5GHz is better, but in the lounge (~ four walls in the way) 2G4Hz works better and the 5GHz signal is marginal.

    notyalckram, Feb 22, 2015
  5. chris

    notyalckram Guest

    It is not shared by Bluetooth, RF devices (like keyboards and radio thermostats etc.) and much else.

    notyalckram, Feb 22, 2015
  6. chris

    DrTeeth Guest

    Just do a site survey with In SSIDer and see what 2.4 signals are
    around you. My router can use both bands concurrently and I have
    picked a channel that is free from all interference. I do not use 5
    GHz at all as a) no need and b) many manufacturers limit the number of
    channels available.

    Asus, for example, limits its routers to 4 x 5GHz channels as it does
    not localise them properly and those four are legal in all EU
    countries. The power output is also less than the legal max for both
    bands too...its about half.

    Also, router makers are making it very difficult/impossible for the
    end-user to modify their locale at the behest of the USA's FCC.
    --
    Cheers,

    DrT

    ** You've never known happiness until you're married;
    ** but by then it is too late.

    DrTeeth, Feb 23, 2015
  7. chris

    chris Guest

    Yup. Already done that and moved it to channel 13.

    However, my previous router's TV connection had intermittent problems at
    2.4GHz. I was wondering whether 5GHz was intrinsically better or just
    different. Seems to be the latter.

    chris, Feb 23, 2015
  8. chris

    Martin Brown Guest

    Slightly less penetrating but also faster within its local range. 5GHz
    is much less commonly used so less likely to be congested by older
    adjacent networks mostly sat on their manufacturers default channel.

    Where I live in a small village thanks to BTs parasitic BTfon networks
    there are more live networks broadcasting than there are houses!

    Martin Brown, Feb 24, 2015
  9. chris

    cl Guest

    On thing that no one has mentioned is that the WiFi *clients* must
    work at 5Ghz too. I'm not sure how many laptops etc. will work at
    5Ghz.

    cl, Feb 24, 2015
  10. chris

    NY Guest

    And that must be every single client that wants to connect now or in the
    future, including visitors' phones or laptops.

    NY, Feb 24, 2015
  11. chris

    Andy Burns Guest

    IIRC the O/P said their router was dual band, so just enable both
    frequencies (either the same SSID on both, or a different SSID on each
    can make it easier to force the 5GHz clients to stick to using the 5GHz
    rather than accidentally dropping back to 2.4GHz)

    Andy Burns, Feb 24, 2015
  12. chris

    chris Guest

    OP here. Yup, the router is dual band so I can run two networks. I think
    only the telly is 5GHz capable so I've set it up as a hidden SSID.

    The remaining devices can stay on the 2.4GHz band.

    chris, Feb 24, 2015