    spending £50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend the money
    Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.

    Thanks for your help, Duncan

    DuncanH, Sep 2, 2004

  2. DuncanH

    Hunt Guest

    You might want to look at ThumbsPlus, www.cerious.com. I'm not sure about the
    addition of menus to DVD,though. For that I use several other much more
    expensive programs.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 2, 2004

  3. DuncanH

    Atreju Guest

    I personally use Adobe Photoshop, but that's mega-bucks.
    In your price range, I hear JASC Paint Shop Pro is very popular.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Sep 2, 2004
  4. DuncanH

    Big Bill Guest

    I use Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Elements; they complement each other.
    For the DVD authoring, I use Nero; it will let you make CD/DVD menus.
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Sep 2, 2004
  5. I am happy with my Epson 3200. It scans everything with very good
    resolution....there is a newer model out there now. You will pay about $400
    but with Kodak charging $1 a slide you will recover that very quickly and
    meanwhile you will have a great multi-purpose scanner for other purposes.
    Scanning the slides yourself allows you to optimize each of them as
    necessary rather than a generic scan from outsiders. It will, as noted by
    others, take considerable time to do thousands of slides...but if you are
    interested in photography and computers you are not expected to have a real
    life too.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 2, 2004
  6. DuncanH

    bob Guest

    For the cropping and whatnot, you can use the GIMP for free, which you
    can download from gimp.org for whichever operating system you use. It is
    very powerful.

    For editing like taking out parts of the picture, you will have much
    greater success if you buy a Wacom graphics tablet, which will come with
    software that might suit your needs. In the US, the tablet retails for
    around $100, which is just barely in your range.

    If it's a one time event, you can get by with a mouse, but if it's
    something you want to do going forward, the tablet is a worthy
    investment.

    Bob

    bob, Sep 2, 2004
  7. DuncanH

    Hunt Guest

    Bill,

    Thanks for the Nero tip. I've got it on two machines, but have never explored
    its capabilities though. I'll take a look, as it might be helpful for small
    projects, that, otherwise, do not require some of the more complicated
    programs I've used.

    Appreciated,
    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 2, 2004
  8. DuncanH

    dave Guest

    Wait, Photoshop ISNT FREE??? :p

    dave, Sep 2, 2004
  9. DuncanH

    Jesko Waniek Guest

    Get JASC Paint Shop Pro. It doesn't load very fast, but it's very powerful
    yet easy to use. The straightening tool alone is worth the price of
    admission (you simply draw a line on the photo to indicate the horizon, and
    the program does the rest; much better than fiddling with rotating, etc.).

    Jesko Waniek

    Jesko Waniek, Sep 3, 2004
  10. Photoshop will do exactly that -- not that I'm suggesting somebody on
    the OPs budget should hold out for Photoshop, mind you. But just as a
    general point of discussion on user interfaces.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 3, 2004
  11. DuncanH

    Swingman Guest

    MS Digital Image Pro v10 has a horizon straightening tool
    along with many other excellent tools, and the current
    rebate offer makes it very affordable.

    Swingman, Sep 3, 2004
  12. DuncanH

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Photoshop Elements will do the job for most users, and it can be found
    for about $55.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 3, 2004
  13. DuncanH

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    It doesn't work very fast, either. It takes about 3 to 4 times as long
    to see feedback on editing changes in PSP as in Photoshop here, on the
    same hardware.

    JPS, Sep 3, 2004
  14. Hey,

    ACDSee, produced by ACD Systems (http://www.acdsystems.com), is extremely
    capable. Grab a free trial of the current version from
    http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/ACDSee/index.htm, or if you're
    willing to be patient, version 7.0 will be out by early October (late
    September, if we're lucky). I'd recommend waiting, because ACDSee 7 is
    looking great.

    I do work for ACD Systems, so don't take my word for it... try it yourself.

    James Addison, Sep 3, 2004
  15. DuncanH

    Harry Krause Guest

    I've been a buyer and user of ACD for years, but I'm close to giving up
    on it. The program DOES NOT SUPPORT Nikon NEF in any way, and my
    questions to the company about "if and when" are never really answered.

    I like the program; it is intuitive, easy to use, and no overly complex.
    But without NEF support for my D70, it is on its way off my hard drive.

    Harry Krause, Sep 3, 2004
  16. I'd strongly recommend downloading the beta for Paint Shop Pro Studio from
    http://www.jasc.com/community/beta/ and see how you like it. It's a
    combination of Paint Shop Pro 9 (with some of the more advanced features
    removed) and Paint Shop Photo Album 5. I've been using PSP and PSPA for
    years, I'm very pleased with the capabilities, ease of use, and features. In
    particular PSPA is a great way to keep your pictures organized and accessible
    and to easily email downsized copies of your photo without overwriting your
    high-res originals.

    If you don't want to go the bundled route PSP 8 is currently available for
    well under $50 (since it's about to be replaced), I've seen PSPA as cheap as
    free after rebate.

    One other possibility if you work much with video and CD/DVD burning is Roxio
    Easy Media Creator 7, which is a very competent package for basic photo
    editing and organization together with very nice audio/video editing
    capabilities. I've seen it as low as $60 before upgrade rebate.

    Bill

    Bill Sheppard, Sep 3, 2004
  17. I believe that 7.0 is going to have NEF (among other RAW types)
    available. I'm not sure what the bundling options will be for it, but
    you can find out in 3 or 4 weeks.

    I hope you give ACDSee 7 a chance.

    Thanks,

    James Addison, Sep 4, 2004