    I've googled for info on this and get people from AVG and Avast camps
    both claiming that their AV is lightest. But I thought I'd get the real
    deal here from the Gods on Mt. OlympiCPUs

    Muze Groops, Jan 28, 2008

  2. Muze Groops

    Mike Easter Guest

    I think I've read more places that say AVG is lighter than Avast, which
    is not a resource hog like Norton. In comparisons of many AV agents,
    both of them have been consistently beaten by others, but both are
    decent AV agents.

    Mike Easter, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Muze Groops

    darkrats Guest

    Almost any AV program is light on resources, as long as you disable all the
    auto functions like automatically scanning email, or scheduled scans, or
    auto-updates. I still run Norton AV 2003, with every auto function turned
    off, and it uses no resources when not actually scanning a file. Whenever I
    get a new file, I just right-click and scan it for anything bad. I've never
    been infected. Just have to remember to scan everything before opening or
    running it. It's the auto functions that kill you.

    That being said, if you really have to have something always running in the
    background, I'd go with AVG, the free edition. Seems to work fine, and
    doesn't hog a lot of CPU time.

    darkrats, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Muze Groops

    philo Guest

    Though Avast is pretty good on resources...AVG is probably the lightest one
    out there.

    I do volunteer work for a non-profig org...and setup a lot of low end
    machines...
    and have always gone with AVG...
    Though it may not be perfect...all the machines have stayed virus free

    philo, Jan 28, 2008
  5. Muze Groops

    VanguardLH Guest

    in message

    Go use virtualization software (Virtual PC and VMWare Server are both
    free) and go test for YOURSELF!

    VanguardLH, Jan 29, 2008
  6. Muze Groops

    thanatoid Guest

    F-Prot for DOS. I run selected items in my download directory
    through it after going off-line and BEFORE I do /anything/ with
    them.

    Since F-Secure used to employ the same engine as F-Prot, even
    though that appears to have changed, the definition files
    continue to be compatible and updates of those should continue
    to be available, even though the DOS version of F-Prot is no
    longer being developed. The non-DOS versions were never free.

    IMHO, continuously running /any/ AV program while on-line is
    pointless unless the user is a complete idiot (the fact that
    many complete idiots have brand-new Vista machines with 4GB's of
    RAM must be a happy coincidence, I suppose; but they should be
    more worried about MS spyware than viruses anyway).

    I bet MANY of the more knowledgeable members of this group might
    agree that if one takes proper precautions, /no/ AV program is
    /really/ and /absolutely/ necessary. (I /may/ have opened a can
    of wriggly slime here... Who goes first?)

    Needless to say, the majority of the above statements do not
    apply if you are unfortunate enough to be a MSIE/OE and Office
    user.

    thanatoid, Jan 29, 2008
  7. Muze Groops

    catchme Guest

    no av?, well i suppose you CANT get any lighter than that!
    seriously though i dont trust an av program that markets itself as light
    on resources for many reasons- the main one is that one EXPECTS a
    trade-off in terms of cpu calls, a slight slowdown etc. in return for
    the added security. its like taking the time to find your keys to lock
    or unlock your door...would you suggest leaving your back door open?
    in my case, i have the internet equivalent of a new-york apartment
    equipped with a series of deadbolts, chainlocks and special gadgets
    aimed at preventing home invaders: a full load of av, anti-spyware,
    anti-keyloggers and a couple of rootkit detectors, most of which are
    constantly running...i even found myself a sandbox to play in!
    i am also looking to getting an equivalent of a shotgun, so as to turn
    the tables on intruders.

    catchme, Jan 29, 2008

  8. I m using avanst home edition (freeware) from last few months .. i
    really like it .. it is very light no problem in doing updates

    it is really best earlier i have spend lots of miney on purchasing but
    now i found freeware so it is best of all

    kapoorabhishek3, Jan 29, 2008
  9. Muze Groops

    mrjohnpaul84 Guest

    I am using Avira Antivir and have no problems with the performance.

    mrjohnpaul84, Feb 27, 2008
  10. Muze Groops

    trek777

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well I have to agree,even if this is old. the fact that avs have infact gotten big and many processes- does not mean that the light is not out there and still good. I use Microsoft security essentials and Vipre. Both are light and do not conflict each other. I also use spyot and malwarebytes as secondary scanners. The suite rounding off with a rootkit detector and a keylogger killer. system starts a little slower but better protected.

    trek777, Sep 4, 2011