Which "FIXED" lens digital camera to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gene, Nov 2, 2005.

  1. Gene

    Gene Guest

    I need your help:

    I want to purchase the BEST digital camera with a
    "FIXED" lens. That is, one that does not have
    optical zoom. I "do not" want a lens that moves
    in any way. I am looking for the maximum mega-pixel
    camera, with a fixed lens.

    I have looked around, but can't find anything that
    I really like. The HP E317 looks OK, but there
    must be something of more quality out there ...

    If you find a camera that looks good, please email me
    at:

    Gene

    THANKS in advance:)

    Gene

    Gene, Nov 2, 2005

  2. I can't imagine why you would want a single vision lens.
    Gene

    Gene F. Rhodes, Nov 2, 2005

  3. He could try a D200 with a 50mm (equiv) lens.
    Many of us started with a "fixed" lens SLR so why shouldn't he?

    Gerrit

    Gerrit 't Hart, Nov 2, 2005
  4. Gene

    Gene Guest

    Grandkids :)

    Gene, Nov 2, 2005
  5. Gene

    tlai909 Guest

    Non zoom cameras have been relegated to the very cheapest of P&S
    shooters.

    Try the most expensive fixed zoom Kodak. It shouldn't be more than
    $150.

    T.

    tlai909, Nov 2, 2005
  6. Gene

    Jeremy Guest

    Ricoh makes what you're looking for. Fixed 28mm equivalent. It's the
    "GR-Something-Or-Other") I can't recall the model offhand, but you can find
    it by doing a Google search or by going to the Ricoh web site.

    Jeremy, Nov 2, 2005
  7. Gene

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    My best suggestion is to get a dslr with the lens of your choice.

    Neil Ellwood, Nov 2, 2005
  8. Epson R-D1?

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 2, 2005
  9. Gene

    Jim Guest

    That explains it. I would shop for price. Only the least expensive
    cameras will be found with this. If you are giving it to kids, then I
    would shop personnally and find the most solid feeling camera an done
    with controls they might be able to use. As far as the guts, I don't
    think you will find a lot of differentiation in this type of camera.

    Jim, Nov 2, 2005
  10. Gene

    John Bean Guest

    Or at least one of the most expensive. Depends on *why* a
    non-zoom lens is the preferred choice - cheapness or
    ultimate lens quality.

    John Bean, Nov 2, 2005
  11. Gene

    Gene Guest

    THANKS.

    It's the "movement" of the telescoping
    lens that worried me. I want something for the
    grandkids that "has no external moving parts".
    If it can autofocus without moving something - that
    would be great.

    Additionally, I "assumed" that these would be very
    inexpensive, that is, under $200. So I guess that I
    am really looking for the best camera for under $200 :)

    THANKS,
    Gene

    Gene, Nov 2, 2005
  12. Reading your later post, I think you're looking at a Konica Minolta Dimage
    X50 or X60, or if you can find a good deal on something like an older Sony
    DSC-T series.

    Martin

    Martin Francis, Nov 2, 2005
  13. Don't underestimate kids! After much pleading, I allowed my
    nine-year-old son to use my camera this spring. It took him about ten
    seconds to master the zoom control.

    Stephen Poley, Nov 2, 2005
  14. Gene

    none Guest

    Agreed -- I think that a kid would not care too much about image
    quality, but would love the ability to zoom in and out in the picture frame.

    -Mike

    none, Nov 3, 2005
  15. Gene

    Bolshoy Huy Guest

    you mean a camera with a prime lens?
    only 35mm P&S have them.
    actually, a few digital P&S only have digital zoom. DONT USE IT.

    Bolshoy Huy, Nov 3, 2005