    which certification I should try first? I have Network + study guide from
    CompTia. Also, does it matter if you get your MCSE with Microsoft, CompTia,
    or some other company? Are they all just as valuable?

    Guest, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Guest

    Neil Guest

    ????

    I am pretty sure you can only get the MCSE from Microsoft. Well, you can
    only get teh Microsoft Certified Systems ENgineer through Microsoft.
    Perhaps www.microsoft.com/learning would help

    Neil, Oct 29, 2005

  3. I'll let the others handle the above, and answer the below on my own.
    First, value is a matter of perception by the group mentality. It genuinely
    does not exist in any real shape or form. That said, I needn't go further,
    but I shall, simply because I don't want to get out of my chair right now,
    the world requires that I be busy doing something all of the time, and this
    particular activity allows me to stave off other activities, by occupying my
    time.

    Ultimately, an MCSE or any other certification, is only tangible in the form
    of a piece of paper, and exists in various other intangible forms (a
    database record, your mind, et al) elsewhere.

    The paper form of an MCSE is likely to be reproducable. There may be
    holographic or other forms of 'authentication' imagery embedded in the
    document, which those who are 'educated' will look for, and which may
    increase the difficulty in reproducing the document.

    One can question the value of paper, because it is a commodity derived from
    trees, which grow from seeds, water, and soil, over time. These four
    components are in abundance on this planet, although arguably if we
    overconsume the trees, we will have to wait a long time for more to grow,
    and if there aren't enough trees to make seeds, we will run out of seeds,
    and if the trees aren't there to stop the wind, the soil will blow away, and
    we will run out of trees.

    There is also the process of input and output that trees perform. Human
    beings breathe in oxygen, and breathe out carbon dioxide. The reverse is
    true of trees. To be clear, we need trees to survive.

    So if, for instance, we were to chop down all of the trees to print MCSEs,
    everyone would die.

    Therefore, to me, MCSEs consume trees, which are more valuable, and
    therefore, are worthless, and the cause of all of the problems facing our
    world today.

    Well, that, and the people who disagree with me.

    It's simply a question of balance.

    Microcephalic S. Bob, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Guest

    kpg Guest

    Allow me to translate [1] for the layman:

    It's all just a piece of paper, what matters is what you
    know and how well you know it, and how useful that is to
    someone so that you may become gainfully employed and become
    a productive member of society.

    Also, don't kill trees, there're pretty.

    kpg

    [1] Be I so bold as to claim I know what Bob is talking about.

    kpg, Oct 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Microcephalic S. Bob spewed across
    the ether:
    I rarely question the value of paper that is made from cotton & linen rag
    paper. Particularly when the printing includes lots of pretty '0's and
    portraits of expired presidents.

    JaR, Oct 31, 2005
  6. The last certificate MS sent me looks like crap. I know they aren't great,
    but a decent looking certificate would fool some people into thinking there
    is credibility. I may actually create my own just so it doesn't look like a
    certificate someone created at home.
    I think Bill's signature changes with each cert they send me...

    Bill McPherson, Oct 31, 2005
  7. Guest

    Frisbee® Guest

    Well, what do you expect? He's signed well over a million of those things!

    Frisbee®, Oct 31, 2005
  8. Guest

    Neil Guest

    prolly why the forged checks I make in the basement keep bouncing...

    Neil, Oct 31, 2005
  9. Guest

    Neil Guest

    imagine the writers cramp...