    a few say Sony , Nikon, Canon, etc. Nikon and Canon Digital SLR are
    quite expensive but i am sure they are worth.

    I would appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

    Vishu, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Vishu

    Jack Dale Guest

    This is a commonly asked question. What features do you want? How
    much do you wish to pay for the features.

    Go to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp to compare cameras
    and features. Then go to a camera store and buy the one the feels
    best in your hands. For a beginner:

    Canon Rebel XT
    Nikon D50
    Nikon D70s

    Happy hunting.

    Jack

    Jack Dale, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Vishu

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D50.
    Digital SLRs are expensive. If you're starting with photography then
    consider one of the better non-SLR cameras. Look for 4-6 megapixels
    and the ability to set shutter speed and aperture. The Canon
    Powershot S2 IS is one such example.

    Reviews and comparisons can be seen at www.dpreview.com.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 15, 2006
  4. Vishu

    dj_nme Guest

    If you are not locked into using any particular brand (eg, you already
    own some SLR lenses), then I'd look more closely at the Pentax and
    Nikon offerings.
    My reasoning is quite simple: that both Nikon and Pentax DSLR cameras
    are compatible (to at least operate in full manual) with all of the
    lenses ever made by both companies for their respective SLR cameras.
    For a combination of price and compatibility, both Nikon and Pentax
    come out about equal.
    I'm not so sure that Konica-Minolta is such a great choice, because
    their manual focus lenses are not compatible (the also is no viable
    adapter) with any of their autofocus cameras (the Dynax/Maxxum range)
    and their proprietary flash hotshoe is not an ISO standard design.
    Canon also abandoned their manual focus lens users when the EOS mount
    was adopted and (like K-M) there is no viable adapter to use them on an
    EOS DSLR.
    The only advantage that Canon DSLR cameras have is that they have the
    shortest back-focus of the four most widely used lensmount (Nikon,
    Canon, Pentax, Nikon) systems and can be adapted with simple mechanical
    adapters and maintain infinity focus with lenses from the other three
    systems.

    dj_nme, Feb 15, 2006
  5. Vishu

    SMS Guest

    See "http://digitalslrinfo.com".

    The short answer is that in the entry level category, get the Nikon D50,
    in the amateur category get the Nikon D70s or the Canon Rebel XT
    (EOS-350D). Pay close attention to the lens choices, as the kit lens
    packaged in the D50 and Rebel XT kits is an adequate, but not stellar
    lens. "Http://digitalslrinfo.com" will explain all this.

    SMS, Feb 15, 2006
  6. dj_nme noted:
    Must differ with this thought. There's a huge advantage elephant sitting in
    the room that you're ignoring: Canon's dSLR sensors.

    Canon is ahead in the dSLR sensor technology wars.
    They have full-frame-sized sensors. Their sensors have lower noise at high
    ISOs.
    Both are important to many people in many situations.

    -- stan

    [a Nikon dSLR guy who's camera-company agnostic]

    Stanley Krute, Feb 15, 2006
  7. Vishu

    Vishu Guest

    Hi Jack ,

    thanks for the suggestion. I am keen on learning . So a camera which
    has the most of the features and serves the purpose of learning
    photography is my necessity and price of course.

    Vishu, Feb 15, 2006
  8. Vishu

    Vishu Guest

    Hi Ray,

    Thanks a lot for the advise. Will think about what you said.. Anyways
    thanks

    Vishu, Feb 15, 2006
  9. Vishu

    Keith Guest

    All of them take good photos, read the reviews and handle the cameras in
    store, and perhaps come to your own conclusion...?

    Remember - when asking for advice here people tend to recommend the
    cameera they bought themselves, hence people recommending mostly C & N
    kit exclusivelly!

    Keith, Feb 15, 2006
  10. Vishu

    ASAAR Guest

    Canon may be slightly ahead (for now) but the "many people" does
    not include the OP, who wants a camera that is "reasonable in price
    and a good start off for a beginner". This would rule out cameras
    with full frame (24mm x 36mm) sensors.

    ASAAR, Feb 15, 2006
  11. It depends on your longer term goals. However, if you think you will
    remain in the beginner to intermediate technical level, I would go with
    the Nikon D50. That camera has a LOT of bang for the buck. Look to get
    the 18-70 lens on it if you can, but the stock lens is probably fine for
    you level.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Feb 15, 2006
  12. I'm not certain that a dSLR would be good for a beginner.They are quite
    bulky and expensive and more process-intensive than point and shoot
    cameras.Why not get a good quality P&S ?I had the Nikon FM-2 before going
    digital and it was a pain in the neck.Most photos were fit for the trash
    bin, either because they were out of focus, or blurred because I shook that
    beast, and taking photos with a flash was a real burden.I consider one of
    the greatest mistakes of my life not getting an AF camera back in '92, just
    like everyone else.Anyway, I went for a P&S *not* for a dSLR, but I presume
    that any dSLR would be more easy to use than FM-2...

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Feb 15, 2006
  13. Vishu

    bugbear Guest

    Heartily agreed.

    BugBear (having fun with his Canon A510 after his Canon A60 blew up)

    bugbear, Feb 15, 2006
  14. Vishu

    Lucas Guest

    It might be an idea to look second hand: right now the market is overflowing
    with second hand Canon EOS 300D/Digital Rebel at very economical prices. I
    guess a lot of people are upgrading. It may not be the very best camera (I
    know, I owned one) but it has all the functions a beginner needs, and
    probably more. I suggest this camera with one or two zoom lenses (18~55mm
    and maybe something like 55~200mm) and you have a really low cost system
    with quite a lot of potential. If and when you want to upgrade later, the
    cost of learning will have been acceptable, if you don't want to upgrade,
    you still have a bargain camera-system.

    Just my little help.

    Lucas

    Lucas, Feb 15, 2006
  15. Your first camera will serve to demonstrate what you don't like in a camera.
    So don't expect that it will be one that you want to keep for years. You
    should out-grow it.

    Since you specify SLR, we can look just at those. People tend to look for
    cameras that will use their current lenses. Since you are buying your first
    dSLR you don't have any....but imagine your situation 3 years from now. You
    now know what you want in a camera and are ready to buy a new one....but you
    don't want to replace all your glass.

    Glass that fits anything but a Canon or Nikon is not worth discussion. You
    can't know that you will ever be able to use it on your next camera and it
    restricts your purchases in the future.

    OK...tired of writing....buy a Canon Rebel and in a year or so your old
    lenses will work on newer Canons and you can choose full frame or
    whatever....with Nikon you won't have the choices.

    Gene Palmiter, Feb 15, 2006
  16. Which choices are you indicating that are missing from Nikon?

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Feb 15, 2006
  17. Vishu

    grendel Guest

    I second the idea of buying a used dSLR. I've bought a lot of stuff on
    the forums at fredmiranda.com (it's an amazing resource all-around).
    You could easily get a D60 or 10D for under $500.

    The difference between the 10D's 6mp and the new 8mp and 10mp cameras
    is really unimportant, and it's a much chunkier nicer feeling camera
    than the rebel/rebel XT or even the nikon d70/d50 in my hands, at
    least. Yes, you lose out on some of the nicer features (2 second
    startup vs. instant on in the 20D/Rebel XT, slower burst rate and less
    effective autofocus) but it's an awesome place to start from. Used is
    definitely the way to go in a world where major updates come every 18
    months.

    If you're anything like me, you'll get a much better taste for
    photography by using an SLR than a P&S. It forces you to be more
    conscious of what you're doing.

    grendel, Feb 15, 2006
  18. You won't have the option of going for a full frame camera. Nikon seems to
    be uninterested in making any.

    Gene Palmiter, Feb 15, 2006
  19. The obvious starting places for a beginner without existing equipment
    they want to keep using, who wants to start at the SLR level (which
    means to me you've got a serious commitment to...*something*; dunno
    what you want to photograph or why but you're willing to commit time
    and money to get quality and the photos you want) are the Nikon d70s
    and the Canon digital rebel Xt (AKA the 350D). Right now Canon has
    some advantages in the top-end professional cameras, including a
    full-frame sensor that's useful for wide-angle buffs, and Nikon has
    some advantages in the affordable professional cameras (the D200
    arguably blows away the 20D). Canon is expected to make new
    announcements soon; Nikon made the last new announcements. Note that
    in the long run your collection of lenses will be worth *far* more
    than your camera body, so the decision of which system to start with
    will cost you a lot to change later. Nikon seems to have a better
    flash system, and that seems to be standing up as over time rather
    better than other aspects, where one or the other company will have a
    short-term lead.

    This is not to say that the Pentax digital, for exmaple, is a bad
    camera. But I don't see a price-performance reason or a future growth
    reason why you would choose it over either of the above. At least
    poster will no doubt argue with this theory.

    Some may argue for the Nikon D50, which is even cheaper. Maybe
    they're right, I know even less about the D50.

    Have fun! None of these are seriously bad choices, that's an
    important thing for you to know.

    The easy seriously bad choices are much more available when you choose
    lenses.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 15, 2006
  20. That appears to be true. But for the same reason, any lens the OP gets with
    a D50 now will likely work fine on any future digital Nikon, whereas if he
    now gets a Canon entry-level model with any EF-S lens (like the 18-55mm kit
    lens), he won't be able to use that on a full-frame Canon later if he should
    want to. Therefore it's Canon that would be limiting his choices, not Nikon.

    I think that's a non-issue anyway. I doubt that 99.99% of users will ever
    need or want a full-frame digital.

    John Falstaff, Feb 15, 2006