Which digital camera to buy? (looking at Olympus Evolt500 2lense kit or Fuji S9000)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mobius, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    Its been a few years (going on 5) since my last digital camera purchase
    (Olympus, a 3.2MP, think C3050 model or close to it) & I'm a bit more
    experienced now (not pro, but very decent & nearing higher level amature).
    I'd like to know a few people's oppinions on these cameras or which ones to
    get.

    I'm looking at two main different cameras.
    * Olympus Evolt 500 (the one with the lense kit that has 2 lenses) [Amazon
    shows "Evolt 500II", is this the kit with 2 lenses?]
    * Fujifilm Finepix S9000/9500 (from what I understand the only differences
    is model# just to controll production counts for export or local sales?)
    * (I've heard Nikon has a comparable one to the Fuji S9000?)

    I like the Olympus due to that it is a digital-SLR so I have lense options &
    am not stuck with the quality of the one on the camera. I dont like it
    because of that reason though, the lenses are quite expensive so I'd prefer
    for start to find lenses or a lense kit that has what I want.

    I like the Fuji due to a 10x optical zoom but no add-ons (from what I
    understand, maybe there is an adapter for this? lense filters or something?)

    Here is what I am looking for.
    * HIGH optical zoom (prefer 8x+)
    * I'd prefer at least 7MP
    * I'd like to have ability to take several pictures in a row WITHOUT
    increasing/decreasing brightness with each picture.
    * Add-on lense or lense filter ability would be nice (prefer not
    proprietary, more industry standard "one fits all" type...for example a PCI
    or USB connection doesn't require a specific device, any PCI or USB device
    can fit...I'd rather have something that "any lense attachment of this size
    fits, & I can get it anywhere")
    * ISO above 400 would be a plus
    * Ability to manually set Shutter speed, & ISO settings, flash strength,
    white balance
    * I'd prefer ability to use AA batteries, or at least buy an additional
    battery I can charge seperately
    * Good macro mode would be nice too

    I'd like to keep this under $1000, or for sure under $1200.

    I've been looking at buying from Amazon or Tigerdirect or some GOOD
    company...no sense in paying for new cost to buy a refurb-sold-as-new by a
    bad dealer or other such problems.

    Any help & input is appreciated.

    Mobius, Mar 20, 2006

  2. Mobius

    ASAAR Guest

    Fuji has high quality adapter lenses for some of their other
    cameras. I have their WA adapter for the S5100. I'm not certain,
    but it's likely that they also have adapter lenses for the
    S9000/S9500. To be sure, either call Fuji's cust.svce/tech.supt
    number or download the manual, which will show the part/model number
    of the lenses, if available. Filters should be readily available.

    I assume that you already know the answer to those, or are you
    asking about other, unnamed cameras?

    Varying brightness or other parameters is called bracketing. What
    you want is referred to as "continuous shooting" by Fuji. Their
    S5100 has several types of bracketing and several continuous
    shooting modes, including up to 40 consecutive shots. I can't
    imagine that the S9000/S9500, a more sophisticated camera, wouldn't
    have at least all of those modes and possibly more.

    Filters should be no problem. I don't know if the Fuji adapter
    lenses would be easily attached to other cameras (it's possible).
    But you could also get high quality adapter lenses from Raynox or
    Kenko, and they'll work on many different cameras. All you'd need
    besides the lens would be an adapter tube to mate it to whatever
    camera you want to use it with.

    Should be no problem for the S9000/S9500.

    Even with an adapter lens and some filters the S9000 should be
    well under $1000. The Olympus Evolt 500 will cost more but it's a
    more capable, expandable camera. While the S9000 has a hot shoe,
    any flash you get for it won't be as flexible as the Evolt 500 with
    one of Olympus's flashes, such as the FL-36 or FL-50. The FL-50
    seems to be tremendously overpriced though. Slightly more powerful
    than the FL-36 for double the cost.

    ASAAR, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    I found the manual & will look at it some time soon (may not be able to til
    Tuesday evening).
    Yes, I'm meaning if someone else knows of another camera that is better than
    the S9000 or Evolt500 that fits this description.
    Yes, it appears to based on the specs that I've seen. They do mention it as
    "continous shooting".
    I think I read somewhere that it used a 58mm thread?

    OK, I looked & here is where I saw the refferences on the specs.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072803fuji_s9000zs9500z.asp#specs

    Also here is a comparison for the S9000 vs the older S7000.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/

    It mentions "lense = 28-300mm, F2.8 - F4.9, minimum aperture F11, 58mm
    filter thread"
    Thats my main concern...the S9000 sounds OK, I'm more also trying to get
    oppinions from those who have used or know someone who has used it. Maybe
    I'll get the S9000 this year & wait a little longer for the digital-SLR
    cameras to fall in price & get one next time around (another 3-5yrs).

    If the S9000 is a great camera then I may go with it for now & wait on a
    D-SLR. Also I have the concern of the zoom & stabalization. I have no
    problem with a 3x zoom, & if I set the shutter speed fast enough wouldn't
    that help anyway (a few hundredths of a second)? What about a tripod?
    Wouldn't that fix any stabalization issues with longer zooms (after all,
    film cameras dont use image stabalizers do they)? I mainly use it for
    outdoor, though sometimes indoor & sometimes low lighting where a flash
    would mess up the natural color (I try to get away with little to no flash
    if I can).

    I'm a few days away from buying (hopefully) as I'd like to have this for
    when the weather warms up (spring, I live in Oklahoma, so yes its also
    almost tornado time but I live in an area they always pass around due to
    geographical issues so maybe I'll get a good funnel cloud shot..lol).

    Mobius, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Mobius

    Crash Gordon Guest

    I have an E500 with both kit lenses (paid 769usd) and my wife has the S9000
    (i think i got that one for 569usd on special). The Fuji is perfect for
    her...ahem- she'd probably misplace a lens if it was removable :). The E500
    is a great value and I like it a lot, I'm still getting used to the
    coversion from film Nikon to digital so I really can't say too much about
    technical junk. The E500 has a huge display screen, I can actually read it
    without my glasses. The viewfinder is a tad small but is better if you buy
    the ME-1 eyepiece (abt 30 bucks).

    The Fuji has an incredible zoom range. The lcd is much smaller than the
    E500, but it tilts (not sure of the value of that).

    Both cameras take great pix.

    hth

    Crash Gordon, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Mobius

    Roy G Guest

    Hi.

    My own personal opinion is that if you are even remotely considering a DSLR,
    that is waht you should go for and go for it now. Waiting a few years just
    means that you will be feeling discontented and that your photography is
    being limited by the Camera.

    The very fact that you are thinking about converter lenses for the Fuji,
    demonstrates that you already suspect that the built in Zoom, good though it
    is, won't be enough.

    There are some very good offers on the Nikon D50 and Canon Rebel, well below
    $1000, and either of these would be an excellent starter.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Mar 20, 2006
  6. Mobius

    Brad Guest

    I have the evolt 500 and am very happy with it. The 2 lens kit seems to meet
    all my needs at this time and the price was right. I believe they are
    currently running a $100 rebate on it as well. I got mine from Circuit
    City.com when it was on sale back in November. They had also sent me a
    coupon via e-mail so it ended up being about $730 as I remember. Brad

    Brad, Mar 21, 2006
  7. I'm happy with my e300, which i bought w/2 lenses at costco. at
    the time it was under $1000, but i noticed that the price has
    dropped and the e500 kit now sells at costco for about $800.

    tiger direct is a ripoff, and NOT a reliable source of anything
    other than trouble, as far as i'm concerned, and i never buy from
    amazon.

    Dennis P. Harris, Mar 21, 2006
  8. Mobius

    Crash Gordon Guest

    i've had more problems with costco than with amazon and tiger.

    once bought a 500 buck tag heurer watch that turned out to be gray market
    and i had to jump through hoops to get it serviced 2 months after i got it,
    then it broke again two weeks later - what a hassle with tag huerer and
    costco bouncing me around.

    Crash Gordon, Mar 21, 2006
  9. Mobius

    DFS Guest

    You could have very simply just returned it and bought another. Costco has
    an "absolutely no questions asked" return policy. No time limit except on
    computer gear - six months.

    DS

    DFS, Mar 22, 2006
  10. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    WOW! Its been a while since I've shopped there....Reseller Ratings
    (http://www.resellerratings.com) USED to show them fighting with NewEgg for
    #1...lately they've dropped, customer service areas mainly.

    Lifetime rating = 6.3
    6 month rating = 6.0
    7.00 Pricing of Products and Services
    5.45 Likelihood of Future Purchases
    6.09 Shipping and Packaging
    4.02 Customer Service
    4.18 Return or Replacement

    Costco http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2479.html

    Lifetime rating = 6.07 (14 reviews)
    6 month rating = 3.5 (5 reviews)
    7.50 Pricing of Products and Services
    3.33 Likelihood of Future Purchases
    5.00 Shipping and Packaging
    5.00 Customer Service
    10.0 Return or Replacement

    Sorry, but I'd rather NOT buy from a dealer with only a few, or even a few
    hundred, ratings....too risky....& their 6 month rating being only 3.5 is
    not something I like the idea of.

    Even NewEgg ranks 26 of the top 35 stores listed in overall rating, with a
    9.28, but out of those 35 only 5 have over 1,000 ratings & only 3 have even
    over 2,000 ratings, with NewEgg still maintaining a 9.28 over all with
    nearly 10,000 ratings. (Thats why I do so much of my shopping there....but
    unfortunately they dont carry the camera I'm looking for.)

    Mobius, Mar 22, 2006
  11. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    Thanks to the replies that I've had so far, I'm still reviewing before I
    buy.

    I've looked at the Canon (EOS 350) Rebel XT & the Olympus Evolt500 & the
    Fujifilm S9000.

    My favorites are between the Canon & Olympus, not had chance to read review
    on Nikon D70 yet.

    My main other concern now is the lense mounting. What is easier to buy
    lenses for? The Canon mount, which appears may be specific to Canon only
    (am I right about that?). Or the 4/3 mount type Olympus uses? I want
    something more industry standard & while the Canon has a better noise
    prevention at higher ISO, I seem to like the Olympus as well.

    Can anyone give any oppinion on the differences in the 2?

    Also the Rebel vs. Rebel XT (300 vs. 350) doesn't seem to have too much
    differences except for the firmware, which from what I understand is
    user-upgradable to a hacked version that "releases" allot of the "coded-out"
    features it has (that the 350 isn't "adding" but is "NOT removing" those
    features).

    Mobius, Mar 22, 2006
  12. Mobius

    Bill Funk Guest

    They are all equally easy to buy; you just buy them. :)
    The 4/3 mount has few lenses available, but that number is growing. I
    understand Sigma just introduced a few.
    Canon (and Nikon, and all the others) have their own proprietary
    mounts, and there are many lenses available for each of them. There's
    no "industry standard" here.
    You can go to the web sites of the various camera makers to see their
    lens offerings, then go to Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, or any others you
    fancy, and see what they offer. Or, go somewhere like B&H and follow
    their links to the lens sections to see what's available from the
    major lens players for each brand of camera.
    If you stick to the major cameras, you'll find many lenses of varying
    quality (from professional to junk) available. The one with
    (currently) the fewest offerings is the 4/3 system, but it looks like
    it's growing, too.
    Good luck!

    Bill Funk, Mar 22, 2006
  13. Mobius

    SMS Guest

    Many more companies make lenses for the Canon mount than for the 4:3 mount.

    I'd avoid the E-500 due to unacceptably high noise at higher ISO
    settings, and the lack of mirror lock-up.
    Totally different cameras. Different sensor, different resolution, etc.

    See "http://digitalslrinfo.com/"

    I've had a bad experience with Tiger Direct, and would not deal with
    them again.

    SMS, Mar 22, 2006
  14. Mobius

    ASAAR Guest

    Stabilization can be used in the camera or in the lens. Nikon and
    Canon place it in the lens, so it should work in some of their film
    camera bodies, such as Nikon's F4, F5 and F6 and some of Canon's.
    But that's just a guess, as the last time I kept up with film bodies
    commercial digital cameras were still a number of years away.

    Stabilization can help, but not in all cases, and it doesn't
    eliminate blur, it just reduces it by an amount comparable to
    increasing the shutter speed by 2 or possibly 3 stops. It's
    important to remember that image stabilization reduces blur caused
    by hand shake, but it's not very useful for stopping subject
    movement. When the subject doesn't have movement, such as in
    landscapes or when taking pictures of buildings, bridges, etc., if
    there's not enough light the necessary shutter speed can easily be
    too long for any camera to cope simply by using stabilization or a
    higher ISO. In such cases a tripod can help far more.

    Say hi to Auntie Em. Oh, wait, that would be Kansas. :)

    ASAAR, Mar 22, 2006
  15. Mobius

    Crash Gordon Guest

    The very simply refused. It was a big mess I had to complain all the way to
    corporate.
    Tag wouldn't touch it. Costco wouldn't exchange it, but they sent it
    somewhere to get repaired...which didn't work...they probably sent it so
    some schmoe somewhere.

    Anyway, after months of screaming and complaining...I finally got my money
    back.

    Crash Gordon, Mar 22, 2006
  16. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    I think you & a few others as well as a few reviews & the fact that NewEgg
    doesn't sell it anyway have all talked me out of a E-500 (maybe another
    Olympus later, but apparently not this time).

    Reading here has talked me out of the Fuji due to NOT being dSLR.

    I think I'm liking this ability to swap lenses for various reasons if
    needed...get a good camera & the lenses can be a "good here but not here",
    but when you have many of them, rather than "1-10, except square or cubed
    numbers are good", then instead going with a situation more like "1-10, only
    square numbers" AND "1-10, only prime numbers" AND "1-10, only even numbers"
    AND "1", now its better. [1 2 3 5 6 7 10] vs. [1 2 3 4 4 5 6 7 8 8 9
    10]....if that makes sense.
    I'm HIGHLY considering the Canon RebelXT EOS350D. I've already got the
    manual (PDF) to look over.

    It says "it is compatable with all Canon EF lenses (including the EF-S
    lenses)." (quoting the first page of the manual, inside cover). So I'm
    looking at a certain zoom lens (see below) that gives me near the zoom I
    wanted with that Fujifilm.

    How sturdy are those lenses? I felt one in a store (think Wal-mart) a few
    years back. They seemed pretty heavy. Do they ever have a large (or
    reasonable to be concerned of) risk of falling off or breaking the support?
    How careful do you have to be with that? I do understand reasonable care as
    I do build computers & I'd assume you dont need to be any more careful than
    for example mounting a CPU's heatsink or inserting very thin RAM sticks into
    the slots.

    Any last minute advice? I hope to buy this weekend or first of next week
    (Monday).

    So far this is a very strong probability I'm going for the Canon.

    Well it looks like NewEgg has it.

    Canon RebelXT (EOS 350D)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120029

    Body with lens
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120031

    Even a starter kit.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830999350

    Also, for only $169
    Canon EF mount 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III auto focus telephoto zoom lens.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830998381

    Mobius, Mar 23, 2006
  17. Mobius

    RobG Guest

    Have a look here -

    http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/ServiceSupportProductContent.jsp
    ?dbid=837502&prodcat=836805&sscucatid=664271

    (sorry about the wrap around).

    It's the PDF version of the S9000 user manual - should answer any questions
    you might have. No doubt you'll find something similar for the Oly.

    I own a 9500 and am quite happy with it. As I've said here before,
    sometimes I wish it was an SLR (digi or otherwise) but 90% of the time, it
    does what I want. And with the 9MP files, you can do a lot of cropping to
    increase apparent zoom, especially if you shoot RAW.

    RobG

    RobG, Mar 23, 2006
  18. Two points - if you possibly can get to a local shop that has the Canon DR XT
    you really ought to try holding it. I don't have particularly large hands and
    I'm used to and like small film SLRs (Pentax M series), but I found the XT very
    difficult to handle, primarily because the grip is shallow and short. My finger
    tips dug into the camera body while there was still room between my fingers and
    the grip, and there just wasn't any room for my smallest finger on the grip. I
    wound up holding the camera with only two fingers and my thumb. If it weren't
    for that problem I'd have bought one, since I think it has the best image
    quality at the best price. My second point is that B&H has the XT with kit lens
    for $40 less than Newegg:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

    Of course, lots of people love the XT and appear to have no problem with
    handling it. And there are some very good reasons to go with Newegg instead of
    B&H, including lower shipping cost and delayed payment if you have their
    Preferred Account. But B&H has a better return policy on cameras (basically, if
    you find you just don't like the camera you can send it back within 14 days and
    be out only shipping costs).

    I've heard good things about Newegg, but have never (or better, not yet) bought
    anything from them. I have dealt with B&H a number of times, and have always
    been entirely pleased with them.

    In answer to your question about lenses falling off - mounting lenses on any
    SLR is even easier and requires even less care than installing a heat sink or
    RAM modules. And the XT is a very well built camera. There's very little
    probability of the lens mount ripping out.

    maxsilverstar, Mar 24, 2006
  19. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    I will try to take a look at that if I can. I'll see about that this Monday
    since I'll be down in the area with some Circuit City & Best Buy stores.
    I'm probably going with NewEgg due to that I do have the account with them,
    have already had only good experiences (as almost everyone else, based on
    "Reseller Ratings" website). Also I know how long shipping will take (so
    many shipments I've timed it) + I get priority processing with the account.
    It also looks good on my credit to have this $1100 or so (by the time I'm
    done) & is 0% interest for 6 months while I pay it (about $240/month for 5
    months & I escape interest).
    I'll probably go with the XT for sure. My sister does photography & has
    been looking at that camera (her problem is she's in a small town & doesn't
    do as high paying of a job so has to save a bit longer, one of those "no
    income, no economy, almost no residents" type of small towns). She likes it
    too & has used some of the lenses I may get (too bad she's too far away to
    swap/trade on ocasion...though its me that got her into digital in the first
    place).
    Thats good to hear. I assume they built it reasonably strong, for the
    average person. But that they also didn't expect for the average "I get
    drunk, get mad, & hit things" type of person to be handling it ("my hard
    drive is acting up & sometimes gives errors warning of potential failure due
    to damage"..."i got drunk, got mad, hit it hard enough to dent the case
    almost an inch inward so the case doesn't close either"...why those people
    dont go hit their heads against a brick wall that hard I dont know)

    Mobius, Mar 24, 2006