Which Dig Cam with sound without wasting space on video?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hondacivic, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. hondacivic

    hondacivic Guest

    I'd like to upgrade my Canon S10, and am looking for a digital camera
    with the following features:

    1) 4 megapixel +
    2) must be sharp in the corners, overal good sharpness, and not leave
    the impression that the camera reall is a lower megapixel one with the
    pixels magnified.
    3) no fake sharpness filter like Agfa used to do.
    4) takes AA batteries
    5) Compact Flash (so I can use the ones I have)
    6) Aggresively low priced (300 US ish?)
    7) ability to record 15 fps movies in 320x240 with sound
    8) ability to record sound, without a movie, so I can annotate my high
    quality still shots, great for making slideshows with sound.
    9) No time bomb. I have the impression that some cameras are
    intentionally engineered to have a limited lifespan. I'm not that hot
    on analog zoom, because it can break. My S10 broke twice, once in the
    warranty, and once outside the warranty. The battery went limb
    (proprietary battery, balk), have to keep resetting the clock (with
    good mini battery).

    Chances are that some cheapo camera with no moving parts has
    everything I want. Or else, a better than 1 year factory warranty
    (not some special store warranty, which costs extra).

    I'm really big on number 8. I really want to be able to record a good
    amount of sound, without wasting storage space on the current going
    rate crappy movie quality, which I'll likely use very little.

    Older Kodak cameras had a programmable chip in it, so programmers
    could write their own software for it, allowing you to do anything
    under the sun.
    I don't think the industry would like us to have this kind of control,
    so I don't think this is an option any more, or is it?

    Could anyone give me a few cameras to consider?

    hondacivic, Dec 29, 2003

  2. hondacivic

    Doyley Guest

    Sounds like you're describing my new Olympus C-750!

    Doyley, Dec 30, 2003

  3. hondacivic

    Paul L Guest

    I use my Nextel I90C for recording temporary audio

    Paul L, Dec 31, 2003
  4. hondacivic

    dsco Guest

    Canon Powershot SD10 does not have analog zoom, is 4mp, and small.
    However it does not meet items 4-6.

    I suggest you plug your requirements into:
    http://dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
    and see what you find.

    dsco, Jan 2, 2004
  5. hondacivic

    Mark B. Guest

    These two requirements contradict each other if you want to rely on digital
    zoom.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 2, 2004
  6. hondacivic

    hondacivic Guest

    I ment how some cameras aren't sharp in the corners while the center
    is, like the Pentax Option S4, which is slightly blurry in the
    corners.

    hondacivic, Jan 3, 2004
  7. hondacivic

    hondacivic Guest

    From what I can find on http://www.imaging-resource.com, and other
    websites found through google,
    the C750 is a tad too costly, slightly bulky, does not use CF cards,
    and it isn't clear that you can record sound *without* recording
    movies.

    I *really* don't like getting stuck on xD or any other proprietary
    format.

    So far, because of this, Sony and Olympus is out for me.

    hondacivic, Jan 3, 2004