    Do I need to install the VPN only on the Android in order to provide
    protection to my PC? Or do I need to install the VPN on the PC only?
    Thanks.

    M.L., Sep 17, 2014

  2. M.L.

    Char Jackson Guest

    Technically, I would think that either place will work, so the choice comes
    down to which environment has the implementation tools that you like best.
    My only advice would be to NOT set up a VPN on both devices.
    Tunnel-in-tunnel doesn't do anything good for your network performance.

    Char Jackson, Sep 17, 2014

  3. M.L.

    Char Jackson Guest

    Yes, to the extent that those things will be using your phone-as-hotspot
    feature. Also, unless it's a VPN back to a server that you control, you're
    sort of at the mercy of the VPN provider to do the right thing regarding
    your security.

    Char Jackson, Sep 19, 2014
  4. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I'm more concerned about wireless snoops than the VPN provider. Would
    I need to change anything when using public WiFi instead of my own
    cellular data, or would the VPN still have me covered?

    M.L., Sep 19, 2014
  5. M.L.

    miso Guest

    M. L. wrote:

    If you to put some effort into it, Amazon has a free account on their cloud.
    You can set up your own VPN. Lots of work though.
    Of course I'm not too sure if you are free from Amazon's prying eyes. But a
    VPN sees everything you do.

    Look back at your original question, if you have encryption on the Android,
    about all you will leak is meta data.

    People use a VPN when they are on an open wifi, which is not your situation.

    miso, Sep 19, 2014
  6. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I'll look into the Amazon VPN. I hope it will be dependable. I don't
    care about them snooping.

    What exactly do you mean by having encryption on the Android? Is that
    something I'd need to install? Would it affect the way I use the
    smartphone for ordinary activities? Would it cloak everything leaving
    its hotspot app? That's what I'm after. Thanks for your reply miso.

    M.L., Sep 20, 2014
  7. M.L.

    miso Guest

    Your email should be using TLS. This goes without saying. Any website with
    encryption (https) should also be safe. This is independent of whatever
    device you are using. Obviously your wifi needs to be encrypted.

    All the VPN does is hide your traffic from your ISP, other than your ISP
    sees you using the VPN. The VPN also hides your IP address from the websites
    you surf. So it isn't like the VPN is useless, but rather it is a type of
    security you may not need. The VPN also can be used to change the location
    of where your traffic originates if you want to get around geographical
    restrictions.

    miso, Oct 3, 2014
  8. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    After researching, I don't think the Amazon cloud feature suits my
    needs.
    Thank you so much for the clarification. So a VPN isn't needed if I'm
    not going to be using public WiFi. Home WiFi isn't a security concern.

    I purchased a VPN service but have decided not to use it based on your
    info. It also didn't help that I must use their VPN app which doesn't
    have an auto-reconnect feature, leaving me vulnerable to what I was
    fearing anyway. In addition, a VPN can slow down traffic when multiple
    devices are using it simultaneously. I feel more confident about not
    needing a VPN.

    M.L., Oct 4, 2014
  9. M.L.

    miso Guest

    Generally the phone has a setup to always use the VPN. Now my understanding
    is the apps for VPN is so you can change "locations" easily, but the basic
    proxy should be automatic. Firefox and Chromium have an add-ons for VPNs.

    miso, Oct 8, 2014